GoPro

lff

• Baller
I am/was considering buying a GoPro Hero3 black but as I am researching I am seeing a lot of negative feedback about it and the older Hero2s also. Bad battery life, lock ups and terrible customer service to mention a few of the issues. I know some of you have one of these, what do you think ?

• Baller
The GoPro is a great camera for HD recording for close up personal footage. Attaching it to your ski or vest gives a great perspective. Filming from the boat is limited due to the fishbowl lens. You can get a closer view with the narrow setting but quality is somewhat reduced. It all depends what you want to use it for. The water proof case means you can go out in the water with it and get video footage that way

• Baller
Battery life is actually pretty good if you don't use the LCD back. The LCD uses power up over twice as fast in my experience. I get four sets with the LCD back attached and nine or ten with it off. I use it all over my ski and body, and on the pylon too. In HD "narrow" mode, it's plenty close enough for -28 in. On the new Ski-Doc pylon camera mount, zoming in any closer than the GoPro II in "narrow" mode will lose the skier at the ball anyway.

• Baller

Attempting to fire this thread back up for a few quick questions.

Just purchased a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition yesterday. So far I'm amazed. I was wondering what mode everyone else uses for skiing? A lot of the videos will be shot from the pylon mount. I understand the skier looks far away, however, I've heard if you change the mode to "medium" or "narrow" view, it improves.

I was also wondering what resolution everyone prefers will shooting from the boat. Currently it's set on 1080p 60fps. I'm not sure about the 1440 mode. Does anyone have suggestions on this?

Also, does anyone have a video from the boat/pylon they could post? I'm curious to see just how far away the skier looks. Thanks!

• Baller

@jwroblew , thanks a bunch. That's not too bad. I kinda like being able to see more of the course, etc. when watching the video. Gives you a great perspective of where the skier is in relation to the boat, wake, etc.

So do you recommend using the narrow settings to record video? Do the other modes looks much further away?