Best Back Brace materials?

h2odawg79

What would be the Best Materials for a Moldable TLSO type (Thoracic Brace) Brace?

Where to purchase?

Also, “Best” for my purposes would be a Thermoplastic that was cost efficient and easily accessible for the lay person. (i.e. economic, heat moldable, non shatter type material)

Is there a form of Thermo-Polypropylene or? type material available with the typical Ortho padding already attached?

Thx!

• Baller

We're in the process of getting a TLSO for our son. A company called Surestep is making a flexible TLSO with different options for padding. They may be a pediatric specific company but I have seen adult versions at the orthopedic office. Many feel like the old school foam life jackets but have a rigid skeleton. From what I've seen they use a heat moldable plastic but it looks like polycarbonate (not clear, usually white or black with a pattern printed on the outside optional). I have no clue where to get it.

They do have some carbon fiber braces in the office but are not flexible at all. The edges are rolled to avoid pressure points. Are you looking for a rigid TLSO or something with some flex? You could do a Benik vest with molded brace bars (either aluminum or plastic). This is much lighter than a TLSO but doesn't have as much support since its basically a wetsuit jacket with braces.

@Wayne, Thx for the response. Attached is the orig. brace that I wore after breaking my Back (T-10)

I would like to create a Hybrid similar to this but having some very different attributes. This material is Ridgid. But, "Slightly" plyable and definetly moldable. I would like to experiment with a few ideas, for a Brace that will help me stay in one piece when I decide to have a nice Yard Sale! yet, not completely immobilize me either.

I don't want to go with the PWR. vest option yet. Well, not until I've exhausted my other idea's...

• Baller

Orthotics are almost always Polyethylene or Copoly (PolyE Laminated with Polypropylene during extrustion).

Usual base materials are 1/8" through 3/16" thickness. @h2odawg79 - that is a Polyethylene brace with an "aliplast" or volara foam liner.

The foam is not preattached to the exterior as the amount of heat required to form the plastic will scorch the foam lining.

@Wayne - Surestep has their own proprietary plastic which they market extensively for their flexible SMO ankle braces. It is similar to a thin modified polyethylene, bit more rigid.

• Baller

Is this primarily for use while waterskiing?

There are a few materials used for making splints that are "low temperature" thermoplastic. Things like orthoplast, and X-Lite - unfortunately those materials tend to be much more expensive.

The higher temperature thermoplastics like PE are actually darned cheap to buy, but with a harder forming process.

That brace you wear is made by making a model of your body (cast or measurements) then foam is heated and vacuumed around it, then PEthylene is heated till pliable, layed up onto the foam, and vacuumed.

Shoot me a PM if you want some pointers.

• Baller

If you want something you could do at home...

You need to make a model of your torso - I would consider laying down in some wet sand ontop of a garbage bag, then pull up off it with out distorting it, and pour it out in plaster.

Flip it, smooth it up, and make a plastic panel for your back, extending like your brace does in the back and wrapping towards the side somewhat - this will be a much more manageable sheet of plastic to heat at home than enough to make the style of brace you have.

Which based just from looking at it, seems to be blocking extension and allowing flexion of the thoracic vertebrae.. What'd ya do to your spine?

• Baller

@bracemaker, lots of good information there. By your screen name and knowledge I'm assuming you make orthotics/prosthetics or are in the rehabilitation area?

@h2odawg79 I see why your trying to experiment, TLSOs are not cheap but considering your injury would consulting a professional be a better balance of risk versus safety? Personally I would have some reservations in going this alone.

• Baller

Indeed.

In regards to his injury - if he is cleared to ski at all he is likely as stable as you are, but yes he should clarify with his physician.

Any style of brace has the problem of inducing a stress risor at the terminal aspect of the device, you will concentrate forces whereever the brace stops supporting.

This is similar to snapping a leg above your ski boot.

In general, bracing is concerned with the level of control, the level of the injury, and the mechanism of injury.

Where I think ski vests should head is the inclusion of a material like SAS-Tec which is a bomb disposal suit material which reacts to impact by acting hard, and is flexible when not under impact. This could allow a vest to reduce motion during the hard hit of the crash, protecting ribs and then loosen up once you land.

@BraceMaker, @Wayne

Yes, I am Clear to Ski. Although I can do virtually anything that I may "Want to do," some things are certainly Not really in my Best interest! (Slalom is one of those things.) But, a Life void of Passion is a Life void of Living...

Yes, the Brace will be for Skiing only. The molded Plastic will mainly cover the Low to Mid Back (Higher then the orig.) but, not completely surrounding my Torso. In cunjunction (attached) with the molded plastic, I will use a store bought elastic/Velcro brace (Mueller) to allow flexion and create compression and a Velcro Lifting Belt (Nike) for Low back support.

I may incorporate a "Shoulders Back" type support from the upper part of the molded Plastic as well. My injury forces my Coronal posture to break fwd. with a Propensity for slumped/rolled fwd shoulders. I have to really fight for every second of good posture everyday. -Skiing Exploits this and Kills me posturally!

I need to better support the entire Rib area and stabilize the Thoracic region. My Ribs get displaced now very easily Falling (in the Course) and that becomes a very painful 4-6 wks EVERYTIME! =(

LIFE IS GOOD, it just ain't Easy!

Thx Guys for your help