I hope everyone knows what Mapple did yesterday

Horton

• Administrators
First pro event in years - he went off the dock 2nd at 32 off (i think) then shortened to 38 - crushed it and then got 4.5 at 39. He goes into the semis tied for 2nd.599aca5c6a2e5d2dd01b204ecb1bfd.jpg

• Baller_
At Nationals last summer, my daughter was the lowest seed in Womens 1 slalom, her first Nationals in slalom. She followed Andy off the dock as he was the last skier in the Big Dawg preliminary round. It must have been inspirational because she PBed by almost a full pass! She also PBed in jump. On her first jump. And came home with a medal. Who PBs twice in one Nationals?

Lpskier

• Baller
I think having a/the top seed go first in a tournament, then the rest run up to chase him is a much more exciting event, rather than having each skier get better as the tournament goes on. This creates a "mark" for everyone to chase after, and would end up with the 2nd seed finally go after the 1st seed's score. More exciting and interesting to watch!

Probably spent some of the best part of yesterdays conditions tied to a tree on the lake

watching the final 15 count down on the Webcast.

Absolutely agree, Andy depth of talent is a lot more that just his current PB's.

It's a privledge to be able to be seeing him again & I hope plenty of good footage appears in the future.

Who's photo @Horton?

• Baller
Since Andy is skiing a Pro event, I thought he had to wait something like two years to be able to ski in the Big Dawg. If that's true, does that mean Andy can't ski Big Dawg for another two years?

• Baller_
still really doesn't explain why. He said it himself. He was there to promote his ski company and get some exposure down under. With a win at 36 by Chris, it would only make sense for a win at 34 for the Mapple 6.0.

• Baller_
Oh, sorry, thought Brooks missed the gate. To tie this back to Mapple; with the closer to shore pull out (skyline end) where so many seemed to have issues (4 out of 4 missed gates at that end), did that play a part in the opt up to 38 and take the harder 39 pass from the bridge end.?

• Baller

@mattp, the gates from the city end are always a challenge at Moomba. They are situated slightly on a corner of the river and the a place where the currents tend to swirl and thus the gates can have a little movement to them. I believe we see more issues with the gates being pulled at Moomba because the gate buoys in the rules are so much smaller than they used to be, and we have become accustomed to having no fear of getting close or trying to run them over without penalty. This is just magnified at a site like Moomba. Just part of skiing in the Yarra, it forces a different thought pattern.

As for my opt up to 38's, this was necessary in the first round for me because of my seed and the way the river and tides were. After that I did it to get right into a rhythm after going back and forth from 34 to 36 mph each day.

• Baller

Thanks for the insight @Mapple . A disgussion on Gates got started after some skiers missed their city end gates.

I was staying with Jodi last week and we talked last week about how the buoys move on the Yarra and it can be anyones win, it's just the nature of the beast and all part of the attraction of the event.

Great skiing out there making the finals in 2 events. It was good to see you back on a Pro stage. I hope it continues for a little longer.

• Baller_

Just want everyone to know that the second person off the dock I pulled in seed 2 slalom was Andy.... Don't you know I was one nervous driver but the words of a very wise younger driver rang clear in my head! Relax-Relax!

Thanks Chad!

Andy is very correct on his assessment of the city end and the driver can play a big part in a skiers gate approach as the boat comes in from almost 90 degrees and straightens out less than 200' from the 55's. over shoot the boat on the turn in you screw the skier same with a to gradual turn in! the swan street bridge is not cake a walk either. First timers find them selves in a torrent of back wash while pulling out for the gates, commonly being way late at the gate and that then manifests not rounding 3 ball.

Truly a challenging place to judge, drive and especially ski!

• Baller
Sounds goofy, but for me cool to have met and skied a tourney with a guy who has pulled Andy at Moomba. That's more than a big deal. Pulling the GOAT at one of the biggest ski venues in the world...congrats on the honor @Jody_Seal.

I have to agree with Andy and Jody. I skied there last year and what a challenge but what I noticed about the the gates on both ends was that there was no sub buoys. So when the boat went thru the gates the buoys would move outbound more than normal. As the skier would turn for the gate you could see them moving inward and once you have committed to go its to late. I have to say what an experience and if I ever get a chance to go again I will. Regardless of the gates.