C's Skis - Simple glove modification to reduce/prevent sore hands

CsSkis

• Baller

Similar to my thread regarding fin blocks, I'm not selling gloves, I'm just offering the design if someone wants to replicate it. I have been doing personal R&D for a number of years now and I'm starting to "divest" myself of some of my waterskiing related ideas that have passed their field trials. With regard to this glove modification, it has been in use for several years on several different pairs of gloves and tried/used by several different people (some well known, and some not so well known).

The driving force behind the glove modification was that I never wanted sore, blistered, hands to get in the way of going skiing. Like many others, on a multi-day ski trip to Florida, I once had to resort to the duck tape between the fingers and across the palm "solution" to sore/blistered hands. This just seemed ridiculous.

Some gloves are better than others, but I was looking for a different approach.

I started out by developing a somewhat simple R&D solution and having a very creative R&D engineer, and Nationals level competitor, try out the prototype gloves (Refer to Prototype 1 photo). The gloves solved the issue of sore hands, but introduced a different set of problems. The next step I took was to develop a very complex solution that ended up with a pair of prototype gloves being produced (Refer to Prototype 2 photo). However, at this point I had an "epiphany". I realized that I didn't need the complexity, I just needed a way to keep the gloves from bunching up at the base of the fingers when gripping the handle. A simple modification to existing waterski gloves is all that it takes.

The process steps for completing the modification involves turning a pair of gloves inside-out and removing part of the seams between the first three fingers (from the base of the finger to the first knuckle). Then, sewing the three fingers together back up to the first knuckle. The leftover material between the fingers needs to be trimmed and then re-sewn closed (reinforce with multiple stitches at the point where the seams intersect). It sounds a little more confusing than it is. (Refer to Final 1, Final 2 and Final 3 photos) On a new pair of gloves, after removing the existing seams, I was able to get to the point where I could convert one glove a night while watching TV. After completing the conversion, just turn the gloves right side out. Note: You will need the heaviest polyester or cotton thread that you can find, as well as an upholstery needle. I was able to get the thread from a furniture re-upholstery store. (Don't worry if you have never sewn before, as this isn't that difficult a project!)

I have had great reviews from users of modified gloves. However, the gloves have only been tested in the cold and (mildly) warm water we have in the Northwest, not the "bathwater" of Florida (for example), so your results may vary.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Chuck Illi

• Baller

@Than_Bogan: Surprisingly, the "extra" material at the base of the fingers on a normal glove bunches up when you grip the handle. By removing this material it allows the rest of the fabric to displace and allows for a smoother surface in contact with the area of the fingers that normally develops the (torn) calluses. By using these gloves, I no longer develop the thick calluses that I used to have.

@BraceMaker: The earlier prototype gloves leaned heavily on the archery tab concept. The final gloves don't.