Looking for a great vacation lake in Tennessee or Kentucky

aswinter05

• Baller

My parents have offered to pay for a weekend vacation for the extended family. They want to go to a place that's a midway point for everyone which is either Kentucky (preferably) or Tennessee.

I know Dale Hollow is an obvious choice, however, we are looking for a lake that you can rent a house ON THE LAKE. We want dock access, maybe even a boat lift, etc.

We would like a lake similar to Dale Hollow where you can find a ski cove at any point during the day and get glassy waters.

A slalom course somewhere on the lake would be a huge plus :)

Does anyone have suggestions in this area? Price is not an issue (since I'm not paying :) )

• Baller
This goes back quite a few years but the wife and I spent a week in a cottage on Norris lake. Really pretty area. At the time there were 2 courses in coves near the dam. It does get pretty busy but lots of coves to check out. Not sure if the laws have changed but at the time a mirror was all you needed for skiing.

Hey @aswinter05 the last 2 years we've taken a group of 3 families down to Norris Lake TN. Rented a big house- It's beautiful and you can get a house on the water with a covered boat slip or two. 6 hrs from Indy right off 75. . There are a few slalom courses on the lake but the one I found was made out of bleach bottles and milk jugs. Check out vrbo. Like skihacker said you just need a mirror and the lake patrol leave you alone unless you're being a major idiot. Take a handheld GPS wih you if you go.

• Baller
@aswinter05 I can second the choice of Lake Cumberland - IF you are possibly interested in renting house boats. My family and some friends rented three large house boats, and I brought my ski boat. We were on the lake Monday through Friday, and 20 some people kept me driving the boat almost non-stop all five days. I got the sunset pass before chillin out with family with some Bud Lights.

• Baller_
Spent a week on Norris, awesome water during the week and not bad on weekends. We did the houseboat rental and parked in a cove with a course. Great time, up at dawn a few sets in the course, go eat and repeat. . .

• Baller
There are houses, condos, etc. on Cumberland, mostly near the marinas, but most were a bit more rustic than the wife liked, thus the houseboat was the choice, plus we were free to move to different places of the lake and not tied down to one place.

• Baller
Please tell me the houseboats have holding tanks now. We rented one back in the 80's and while we're swimming the second morning we wondered why there was corn floating all over. Then we put 2 and 2 together and remembered we had corn on the cobb the previous night, GROSS! Other than that it was a great vacation, especially fun finding a remote cove and skiing among the trees.

• Baller

@dbski my parents purchased a houseboat on Lake Cumberland a couple years back. 2005 Jamestowner 60 footer. They are not required to use holding tanks on Lake Cumberland. All the poo goes into the lake. They are required (I think) to use Raritan/Purasan treatment systems (kinda like airplanes). Supposedly, Cumberland's water is so deep and constantly flowing, that dumping in the water isn't an issue? Still pretty nasty if you ask me.

Back to the houses on Norris Lake. I've researched a couple slalom courses that exist on the lake. Does anyone know of a nice course? We may try to plan around the course so I don't have to spend $200 per day on gas just getting to the course.

@Crashman , Did you ever see a course that wasn't made with milk jugs?

Also, I haven't heard of slalom courses on Lake Cumberland. Maybe I'm wrong

Thanks guys

• Baller

Today I confirmed the locations of 2 slalom courses on Norris by calling local marinas and Ski clubs. Now I'm trying to determine if either of those two courses is the "milk jug" course. I have a map of the lake. Do any of you guys that have vacationed there know about where on the lake map the milk jug course is? @Crashman

I'm pretty sure the course on the far West side of the lake is really nice and "privately" maintained. Unfortunately, that part of the lake doesn't allow people to rent their properties?

The one I attempted was near the dam just up big creek. Somewhere I have an epic fail video of me attempting to ski it behind the V-drive. Upstream on the Powell River arm you find glass all day every day. I actually welcome the chance to ski open water on a lake more than 2000 ft long. You could always bring along a portable course.

• Baller

Okay. Big Creek was the course I heard was maintained by the public. Makes sense this would would have the occasional beer bottle for 3-ball.

We're definitely looking forward to some open water glass. I've heard there's glass everywhere if you're willing to wake up before 8.

I thought about bringing a course, however, I don't have one and I've never set up a course. Could turn into a nightmare

It gets a little busy between Deerfield and the dam but upstream of lafollette you'll always be able to find glass. Last year we stayed at flat hollow- you can ski in the back of that cove and the whole week there were only us and some footers using it. I don't think I made it on the water before noon the entire week.

Norris Lake has one decent course and plenty of rentals. The course I know of is permited by skiers of knoxville, and its in Big Creek. Take a few course supplies with you (balls especially) when you go, everyone is welcome to ski it. Its not the best location, as detailed above with the backwash, but its better than nothing. Center Hill also has a course and some lakefront rentals, its a very nice lake also. Closest town is probably Cookeville TN.

Tellico has some lakefront rentals and a couple of courses (skier of Knoxville also). http://www.sequoyahmarinaresort.com/ The mastercraft plant and our course is 5 minutes from there. Pretty decent food and fun atmosphere.

• Baller
I was using the big creek course last week. it was a mess when I arrived but I replace more than 1/2 the balls/ drivegates including the front and end gates. There was a noodle at ball five which I kept as a souvenir. The shoreline is a hard reflecting wall for waves which gives you about one pass before the water is trash...but the challenge was fun....sort of. If I were a local I would cut a bunch of the shoreline trees into the water to eat up some of the waves. I dont think cat tails can grow on that slope. I would love to try to drop a portable in at big Sycamore creek way up on the east end. Shore is lightly sloped and there is minimal population.

• Baller
I with a group that will be renting houseboats on the clinch river end next summer. While I am the only course addict in the group, some of the guys are gaining interest. I am looking at the Big Sycamore creek area to drop in a portable. It is relatively shallow compared to the rest of the lake, some slope to the shoreline and population seems to be minimal. Anyone ever drop a portable in this area?

• Baller

Kentucky Lake has a lot of coves, don't know about slalom courses. The main lake is rough but the coves are like their own small lakes. Plenty of resorts to choose from.

I think it would be cool to get some people together with a couple of boats and maybe an RV with a kitchen and stake out one of the primitive camping areas on one of the coves on the Land Between The Lakes side. The ramp is right there and especially in the off season you'd practically have that little corner of the lake to yourself.