Time For A New Ski

ALPJr

• Baller
I've been riding a HO Phanton with dbl Animals for 12 seasons. Was on a HO VTX for 7 seasons before that. I average about 20 ski days and about 25 sets per season. Kids are in high school and travel softball and basketball programs so our schedule has been tight, through the end of July last two summers, and probably will be for three more summers after this year. Anyway, I'm pretty easy on my ski. 52 years old, 15 to 32 off @ 34. I'm leaning towards a red A3 with f & r Apex boots. Does it make sense, or should I consider the Strada or possibly the Quest? With such a limited schedule not really able to or interested in testing skis. Baller's thoughts would be appreciated.

• Baller

The A3 is super stable. Go ride one at Badals. He will set it up for you. Crawford/Bishop are nearby if you want to try a Quest. Brandt always has a bunch of STRADAs.

Horton is correct but don't just buy a ski you may not like. Go ride it first if you can.

• Baller_
The S2 is a really great ski for the line lengths your talking about. Forgiving. Stable. Very easy on the body. Not that the A3 isn't (dont know have not been on one). It's just that there are a bunch of used 2012 S2s on Ski it Again in the sub $600 range. A good deal IMHO.

• Baller
Made the move from the Phantom w/ animals to an A2 w/ Apex boots last spring and the best move I have ever made. Ski it comfortably at 34mph but any slower I would not recommend slower if you are slowing the boat to cut length. Extremely stable, responsive, and fast... The have been so many times the Phantom would have thrown me down... Clearly a lot of great advice and experience on this site but would make the full move of ski and bindings and confident you will never look back after a few trips on the water.

• Baller
I think you may aswell get the new bindings aswell as the new ski. I just bought a connelly prophecy with double stealths (coming off an F1X with RTP) and was skiing better than with my old ski after just 4 or 5 sets. Just my opintion BTW