Trim tabs

mikey

Can I reduce the wake or make it somewhat softer on my 2005 Cobalt bowrider with Bennett's Trim Tabs? I usually try to ski with a 1/2 tank of fuel or less and make sure I have someone setting up front. Would changing the prop from a 3 blade to 4 help too? Thoughts and suggestions please.. I'm just a recreational public lake skier. Just trying to soften the hit of the wake a little.

• Baller
@mikey you might look for cobalt forum. Also try contacting Bennett directly. Those boats are built like tanks. Good boat but little concern for wake in there design. If you continue your interest in skiing you're going to find yourself wanting an inboard.

• Baller

Do you run with your i/o unit trimmed all the way in? If not, that is an easy fix.

I am not sure that tabs would help you if you are already running trim in. It might be good to look on other lake boat sites and see if someone has put trim tabs on. I doubt you are reaching a large audience of non-inboard boat owners here.

You can always add some sand bags up front, although, having a lot of weight up front in a bow rider always scares me.

A 4 blade prop we put on a Hydrodyne in place of the stock 3 blade improved the hole shot and seemed to have a rounding off effect on the wake edge. So overall, I would say it was a good move.

• Baller_

@mikey: which one do you have as a starter, and of course it will never approach the wake of a proper tournament ski boat but there are a few things you can do to help. Those boats are built with a deep V and a lot of deadrise, so they penetrate the water a lot which results in a tall, firm wake.

Trim tabs will help, along with anything you can do to create lift at the transom, adding some hook or tabs will lift the tail. I am guessing the battery is at the rear, so move that forward along with anything else you can move forward.

It's a Cobalt 200. We just got it last year as a family runabout.. My nephew skis pretty aggressively behind it. He is a pretty good skier. He is strong and cuts pretty hard across the wake in a good stacked position. So, I know it is doable... Guess I'll just make do...