White spots on boat

MickeyThompson

• Baller
I've got some water spots that are baked into the black gel on the side of my boat too that won't quite come off with vinegar, soap, or anything. You might want to go over it lightly by hand with 3M Imperial rubbing compound and see if that does it. I'd be tempted to try WD-40 first though just for kicks. Maybe I'll try it on mine if I ever get up the ambition...

• Baller_
For the water spots we get in many of the southern states, even vinegar and water won't cut it. I use a 50/50 mix of muriadic acid and water in a spray bottle. Wear rubber gloves and safety glasses, but you may still need some elbow grease. You can get the muriadic acid at home improvement or a pool supply store. Yes, its strong stuff, but it won't hurt the gelcoat.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
When I put Sea Deck on our SN last year, I peeled the old black knee eating rock-padding off the platform, and then used denatured alcohol on it. Cleaned the gel coat up like new! I didn't try it on the sides though, but it might work on water spots too.

• Baller
Toilet bowl cleaner has always given better results than any marine products I have tried. I used to use Sno-bowl, but have not seen it on the shelves lately. Lysol's bowl cleaner did the trick last time.

• Baller

What's next, little outlet holes under the rub rail so toilet bowl cleaner can shoot out like it does in your toilet?

Yes, another crappy weather day here in NW Ohio.

NW winds 16-25 and about 50F.

• Baller

No wonder boats are so expensive nowadays. Rub rail toilet bowl cleaner automatic dispensers are going to be an expensive option.

Of course, I don't understand any of this thread. Too many cleaning products and too much wiping removes that protective coating of dirt and ages the boat prematurely...

Eric

• Baller
@AB, that would be a great feature, self-cleaning so that you could just sit back and watch the crap flush away. Of course, self-cleaning boats would alleviate a key benefit of having teenage kids. Thankfully the grass cannot cut itself, so kids are still useful for something.

• Baller

@BlueSki Do you really have or have ever had teenage kids? Useful!? Fortunately my youngest just turned 20 and is becoming human again. Productivity will come eventually.

Eric

PS Kirk and Ryan-Sandy rock! I am the luckiest dad ever.

• Baller
@eleeski, almost, so the kid is still useful with the boat and will soon be running the tractor. He also takes care of the dog's landmines. The groans are intensifying on the latter job, but any whining lowers the pay rate.

• Baller

I use Sunny Brite to get the water spots off. It is designed for fiberglass showers and works great on water spots. I got Stan's (Eric's black 2008 MC) shinny bright with it. After finished with it, use Eagle One spray on wax. Tried a lot of stuff with Northern Cal's hard water, and they seem to work the best. Might have to try some of the other suggestions on here. Babe's spot remover didn't even touch the hard spots on a black boat.

@Blueski , the most whining I have ever heard is when we wipe the boat down after skiing and @eleeski is around. Worst than any teenager!