D3 Quest Review

Horton

• Administrators

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/2013/QuestMay12SkiWest-0915-2.jpg"The D3 Quest is an all-new ski for 2013. The development process of the Quest may have started with the D3 X7 but the final product is a completely different ski.

In a field of super aggressive, fire breathing slalom skis the Quest is the most predictable and refined high end slalom ski tested to date. As opposed to being the most radical, the Quest has the right amount of the speed, angle, stability and aggression. Not radical does not mean pedestrian. In this case, it is quite the contrary. The Quest is a world class short line slalom ski.

As with many design attributes such as stability, too much or too little can make skiing more challenging. The Quest is stable enough off the wakes to allow the skier to feel comfortable and confident, but is not over stable at the expense of aggressive turns. The Quest offers a very tactile feel underfoot. In combination with other attributes this stability makes the skier feel comfortable and able stay more centered over the ski.

“Off Side” turns are dependable and consistent. Compared to other skis in the same class the Quest is perhaps less sensitive to weight distribution. Because of the ski’s basic stability the Quest makes it easier for the skier to be in better position through the turn (*). The arc from apex to hookup is crisp but not abrupt. If the skier is patient with their free hand at the end of the turn the Quest will arc far back inside the ball line for even more angle. The basic attitude of the ski is not overly tip down but is consistent.

“On Side” turns are practically indistinguishable from “Off Side” turns. Skiers who are not  as centered going into their “On Side” will find that the Questis quite tolerant to this technique flaw. (*) If needed the “On Side” turns can be pushed fast and hard with only a little tip rise as a consequence.

Because the finish of the turn is calm, the amount of angle the Quest establishes can be deceiving. The one thing this ski does in extreme is create angle, but it does so without making the skier feel out of control.

The overall balance of the ski means that skiers will find it easier to be centered and to be stacked from the hook up to the wakes.  

From the wakes to the ball seems to be the one segment where the Quest is especially sensitive to fin and binding settings. With the right settings the Quest draws a very wide and early path to the ball. The ski is surprisingly tolerant to technical errors by the skier *. With the fin a little too far back and /or the bindings too far forward the skier will be faced with the odd experience of being very early and narrow at the ball.

Quirks: In comparison to other skis, the Quest is very sensitive to binding and fin settings but forgiving to skier indiscretions.

*"Insert the obligatory “all skis work better if you ski with good technique”

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/2013/Quest.jpg

@Horton, thanks for the review. I enjoy all your reviews and value them as a good, objective, reference point for new gear. Based on my experience I would say you have realy nailed the feel of the Quest and done a great job articulating that experience.

New to this forum... but wanted to add my thanks for the help with my gear at the D3 demo at Waterski Atlanta this last Wednesday. Thanks John!

FYI, I felt right at home on the Quest coming from Z7ST (66 in) and it watered my eyes on one of my very late onside turns. I ended up walking away with one.

• Baller

Took a 68" Quest for a spin for the first time last night. My initial impressions.....I was very pleased. I started at 28 off and was actually uncomfortably wide (if that's possible) into the balls. So my remedy, cut to 32 and ran it no problem. I'm excited to get some more sets under my belt to build the comfort level. But so far I see lots of potential.

My fin settings (36 mph skier)

.760 slot

Wing at 7

Paul gave me dft number of .740 flat. But getting a consistent flat reading with a slot caliper is difficult. Anyone have slot dft numbers they are running on a 68? D3 doesn't list slot dft numbers.

• Baller
@webbdawg99 you are so close to busting something loose. I only see you at skiwatch but you have all the necessary gifts and attributes. Get a ski working well with you and the sky is the limit...I hope if you get this ski dialed it helps you create a new limit and I see it in person this fall. Keep us posted on how you feel at 35 and 38 on the new stick.

• Baller

I'm embarrassed to admit that I incorrectly set up my Quest by using the jaws to measure length instead of tips. I've kinda been chasing my tail on the ski for a week. I realized my mistake and set the fin to the settings Paul Crawford originally suggested. Well, first set with the right settings and I ran 2@38 off the dock. 4@38 is my pb. I'm pretty pumped. I had lots of room at 35. It was hard to not overski it. I'm very pleased with the quest. Here are the correct numbers I'm running at 36 mph on the 68" ski:

6.925 tips

.740 slot

7 degrees