Wing removal

mikey

• Baller
@mikey Taking the wing off will remove some of the drag from the ski which will help on two fronts: skiing will be a little less work and it will help you to develop a little more weight-forward technique (a good thing).

• Baller

I am not a very good skier, I am -15, sometimes get lucky at -22 @ 32 & 34. Weighing 225 at 6' i am not the typical skier's body structure. On A radar 69.5 strada. With that said I enjoy this sport immensely and want to learn and improve as much as I can. after reading a umber of theories and opinions regarding wing or no wing, I have tried taking the wing off. I have only been skiing for 6 yrs and working on the course for about 4 always with the wing on. My last two sets I have taken it off, and I am now even more frustrated. One of the only positives about my skiing is I never tend to have too much slack on either side. The two sets with out the wing produced a ton of slack on both side but way more on 2,4, side, I'm LFF. If anyone can offer some suggestions or advice I'm all ears.

Thx

• Baller
@mzito, do you have some video? With a wing you will tend to get less slack as the ski is shutting down faster (as @skijay mentiond, it generates drag and bleeds speed), so taking it off allows more speed, and probably will have a positive effect on the "weight back" and "breaking at the waist" aspect of your skiing, but it will slow down less. And that will be more apparent for you in 2 and 4, as you are coming from an onside pull (better one). Video would be the best way of assessing, but as a first approach you might see if you are pulling too long (maintaining what you did with the wing but carrying more speed), or maybe reaching too early so narrow and flat at the buoy. We could analyze all possible causes, but without actually watching you it would be just wild guesing.

• Members

Bob Lapoint was quoted in a waterski mag interview once, with the question, What kind of advice would you give someone with a new ski that is attempting to learn the course.? he replied" I would have them remove the wing" .. I think its a good idea, unless your getting into 32 off . Learning how to edge change and weight shift on the ski is very important. Your ski should come around the buoy a lot quicker with less drag.

The "slack" you refer to can be caused by many things, but I would guess its because your pulling to long to the buoy and then trying to dump all that speed and turn and without the wing, the ski is rearing up on its tail as you try and round the turn. Stay centered on the ski weight shift going into the turn, and edge change after you cross the wake should help.

• Baller

Thank you for the input @ral and @musclefixer. I can work on getting some footage up so you can look things causing problems (i'm sure it will not be hard to find, as there will be a lot wrong). leaving for MN for work this coming week, will do it wen I get back.

Thx again

• Supporting Member
One of the reasons to remove the wing at your current level is that it forces you to learn some things that are critically necessary later in your progression. FAR better to correct those now than later. Video will tell what those are, but chances are its your leverage position, simply because that's the core problem with 99% of skiers at your current level.

at what point are you better off to take your wing off rather than take angle out. bellow 7 or 5 or 3 ? ski was working great when water was below 55f now at 65f I am working hard to keep it out in front of me. skiing in the course 22 and 28 off 34 mph. goode wide 9900 66" 205lbs. yes I know my body position is wrong but with the metal in my back it is what it is.

• Baller

Ive been skiing without a wing for about 6 months. I've been nursing some injuries and figured i would ck it out while I'm in the "take it easy mode". I've tried it on a Fusion ans an A2. It worked great thru 35. For me, I've added a little length in cool water and the reverse in warm water.

I hope to test this theory on the short stuff soon as my dings are slowly feeling better.