Does Size Really Matter?

Garn

• Baller

I'm talking about skis @Brady, so relax.

I got myself an HO S2 last year. I weighed 192 so I got the 67.5 - the biggest. It was rated for 190 pounds and up. Since then my wife and I have gone on Weightwatchers and I now weigh 180. Would I be better off with the 66.5? I think I know a person who has one that has almost no use who will swap it with me. What are your thoughts?

Garn

• Baller

@Garn, I too would be interested in some more information on this topic from some of you pros. I weigh 150 and I'm on a 67" Senate C. 32 mph skier almost ready to transition to 34

I've heard some pros say "when in doubt, go bigger". Bob LaPoint being one, April Coble being another.

• Baller

It does depend somewhat on what line length and speeds you are skiing. There is a school of thought that says ski the biggest ski you can slow down and turn. I am on the big end of the scale so I don't tend to have an issue with skis being too big.

My son who is 165 pounds skis a 66.5" A2 and has skied it from 28 mph into 28 off at 34 mph. He started on that ski when he weighed about 150 lbs.

@garn I would say at 180lbs you could be on either ski. If you told me you were skiing into 35 off I would say the smaller ski might be better. I skied the 67.5" last year at 210 and it worked fine for me.

@aswinter05 if you aren't having an issue with the ski turning I wouldn't change skis.

• Baller
I am 6'4"@220, and skied the 67.5 S2 last year at 34..With the vents on the bottom, it tends to ride high on the water..Had a heck of a time slowing it down at 35 and shorter..I would definitely go with the smaller ski at your new weight.

• Baller
@Garn, I am 180lbs on a 67.5" S2 and it works well for me at 22 & 28 off, my weight has always been in the middle of two ski sizes but have always went for the bigger ski with no problems i.e. 68" Monza 67'5 A1.

• Baller
Agree w/@Ed_johnson 100%. As you shorten the rope a smaller/better sized ski for 150 lb will make a difference. Especially now that the high end skis tend to have more surface area for the size than in the past (wider forebody and even wider tails on some skis, i.e. Quest, Nano).