Malibu TXI throttle glitch

pgarske

I have a 2012 Malibu TXI and have experienced several throttle glitches. While cruising at 32-34 mph with Zero Off disengaged, the engine will suddenly reduce throttle to idle. I put the throttle into neutral and re- engage forward and everything seems ok. It has happened 3 times in the last two weeks and today it happened repeatedly while returning to harbor. It has never happened in the slalom course while Zero Off is engaged. Anyone else experienced this? I am wondering if it is a bad connection in the electronic throttle assembly. Taking it in this week to have it looked at.

• Baller
@pgarske, have you thrown any engine codes? I believe the fault code is #29 for a throttle problem or bad throttle with a 2012 TXI. I have heard of a few throttles needing to be replaced on the 2012 boats. It is a pretty easy swap out. If you are getting codes that need to be cleared, I would not use the boat until until you get the throttle replaced.

Thanks ski4xtc. Took the boat in and they didn't find any codes. They checked all the connections and nothing appeared to be out of sorts. Took the boat out today and during the 4th set while going to 5 ball at 28 off - oops it went to idle!! I have returned boat to dealer who is going to get Malibu and Indmar involved. Told them the boat is currently UNSAFE to operate while skiing in course. Anyone else out there who might have any suggestions it would be most appreciated

• Baller
We noticed some throttle wierdness on some '13 TXI's recently. I've seen two where if you touched the throttle after the ZO engaged, the boat would go full throttle. You'd have to pull it back, then engage zo again with a smooth motion of the throttle to the stop.

• Baller

@ShaneH, On our '12 TXI we just go to the throttle hard stop without waiting for the beep of ZO engaging. It settles in almost instantaneously with no surge. Around the turn island, once the boat is straight, we just drop the throttle to the hard stop, no hesitation. If you wait to get the ZO engaged beep; then drop the throttle to the hard stop, it will surge.

If you get the ZO egaged beep and didn't go to the hard stop all in the same advancing of the throttle, don't try to advance it, it will have a high potential to surge.