Profiles???

skihard

• Baller

There sure is a whole lot of mamebers on this site with a ton of great knowledge and a willingness to help out hacks like me and others who go deep into -35.

As a reader of this page; almost daily at some point I might add, I often find myself clicking on someones name to see who they are and where they are from, and where they ski?

From my perspective it would sure be nice if a whole lot more of the members here took a couple minutes and filled out their profiles. The ski community is a great one and I personally travel a fair amount.

I know if any of you were in my area and happened to ant to go for a tug I'd be more than willing to yank you down the lake if I'm home and available?............... and I'm sure everyone of you would offer the same in return. Only nobody knows who you are or where you're from other than your screen name.

Just a thought I'm tossing out to everyone...................hope I get to learn a little more about the memebers here? :)

• Baller
@skihard A number of us old timers a little are paranoid about putting too much info out there for the unsavory types to gather. As an example google your own name some time and start sifting through the info. Might be surprised how much you can put together. I would rather respond to an individual with an email than broadcast to the whole planet. Oh, it's not paranoia if it's true!

• Baller

LOL @thager - it almost sounds like you are hiding something from us? :)

I understand what you're saying. However even just where you're from is mostly what I am after? I don't post my real name on here nor do I give up a whole ton of personal information other than ski, boat, and location. Which in reality is all I was really trying to get at in the first place.

Oh and I have Googled my name..........and I can't find anything on myself so all the others with the same name might send out a bad reputation for me but I'm ok with that as I know who I am and what I stand for? :)

• Baller
I think we should put together a directory of all the ballers and where they ski and then the other ballers could have access to it!......wait, nevermind. @AB I know who you are and I am coming for you!!!!! Maybe we could have a clandestine meeting at Tony pacos!!!! :)

• Baller

@thager I would consider the info you have in your profile more than sufficient for what @skihard is asking for. Location is ultimately what I'm most curious of.

@brady There was a directory that got started a few months back and then it died. I don't remember the ultimate reason for it's failure but I do know a lot of people seemed really scared to post their name, email address, and city, state.

If you call a wrong number these days the person can look up your name, home address, and find out what cars you drive so they can stalk your house and figure out when you're not home. Yet, I'm still trying to figure out how telling someone my email address and city, state will get my life hacked though...especially when there are so many idiots out there willing to give SSN's out on themselves.

• Baller
@scotchipman I like being anonymous. Doesn't take much to figure out my name, I just don't like handing it out. Employers love it when you make it easy for them to check on a potential employee. Always there. Never goes away For laughs read some of the stupid things people put out on spacebook or tweaty bird.

• Baller
My name is all over the internet from a business I had. So it doesn't really matter to me but I could see were some folks wouldn't want that out there. I do encourage people to look at there profile, there is some general info you could put that would be harmless.

• Baller
@Waternut I was the one who started and who maintained the directory. It was a ton of work and a royal pain in the ass, and I don't believe many people used it at all. @Horton told me as much, but I believe he enjoyed watching me go through the exercise. It did make me appreciate all the work Horton, @MattP and now @ShaneH put into this site. That was an afterthought, and I probably dropped more than 50 hours on it. As far as my profile and stuff--My name is Doug Brady, and my address is in Sandy, Utah and my cell is 801-792-5123. Feel free to give me a call at any time and @scotchipman and @Garn and I will take you for a pull. We have a great site and we have lots of fun. If you decide to visit, call first, or the security guard won't let you into my neighborhood, (although, I bet he could be bribed with some Kilo Kai.) And if you are some kind of deviant or killer, come on over and I will introduce you to my .357. :)

• Administrators

The data that I ask for in your profile is really all water ski based. I do not know why the IRS or the North Koreans would want to know your high score or what boat you ski behind. For USAWS members adding your membership number really helps everyone know who knows what.

Google can't mine data ANY user from BallOfSpray. I do agree that it is wise to watch what you put on the intertube about yourself but letting the ski world know that you are left foot forward and have a new ski is not interesting to the guys in the black helicopters.

I really wish everyone filled out their profiles but have gotten tired of asking.