2013 - The Season That Hasn't Really Started in NWO

A_B

• Baller

This season has to be the worst start I can EVER remember.

We have had wind or rain or both. Rain going east, stops, hovers, then goes south, then west, now back at us going north... What the heck?

More storms moving west, south, and all points in between. Not our typical weather pattern at all.

Only one truly nice day of skiing so far this year.

One positive note, I am getting better at playing 15-20 mph wind in golf... :(

• Baller

@AB feeling similarly. It's now July and I've got a whopping dozen sets under my belt. The few nice days I've been obligated elsewhere...when I have time it's been rain n wind. Just whacky. Had beautiful sun n temps the last 4 days, but all available courses blown out in the north wind--the only direction that hits every one of 'em. This is making it very difficult to work my way up to my lines from a year ago and certainly harder yet to progress beyond.

It ain't over, though, if the weather turns and get a good July and August....there's still hope!

Same here in Paris France, weather has been the worse I can remember. The worst thing is, I can identify 3 main reasons not to ski:

Wind

Rain

Temperatures (skiing is a club activity here, so when it's cold, there are not enough skiers for it to be profitable so it does not operate at all)

Well this season, (usually starts on May 1st) we have had either Wind, OR, Rain, OR really cold temperatures OR a combination of these 3, for the past 2 months.

I've been longing and waiting and only got 2 real days of skiing, I mean real summer skiing, nice weather, boats out, girls in the boats, people rounding buoys etc...

2 other crappy crappy days, crazy ballers ballin' and absolutely no one on the shore, everybody freezing it's bottom off...

And approximately 55 days of Meteorological nonsense... Exactly the same as @AB stated, wind going south, cold, wind going north, rain, wind going south again, cold again, wind messing with you, rain&cold, etc etc...

really depressing, as I KNOW, that by september 30th it will be the end of the season, this will have been a 3 months season... :(....

• Baller
Stupid weather shut down our club in Calgary altogether. We still go to the club every day, but to dig it out of heavy mud left in the wake of a 100 year flood. Golfing in the wind actually sounds pretty good right now.

• Baller
I just got back from a tournament in Cody, Wyoming (Gordon's Pond - Thanks Tom!). Nearly everyone I talked to had low set counts due to weather. Saturday was the first time I ran a pass since May 2, but that was due to a broken ankle - I'd say count your blessings, but I would rather endure a broken ankle than have to deal with what @SkiJay has on his hands.

• Supporting Member

What I can't believe is that the region having trouble is millions of square miles. I guess there's tiny solace in suffering as a group...

But I want this damn backwash to get the hell out of here so I can kick 38s ass like god intended!!

• Supporting Member

Long-range forecast just starting to include some no-rain days in MA. There's even a cute little picture of a cactus for Thursday. Here's hoping it's true!

Of course, I'm in NH this week, which still looks like at least some rain every day the forecast covers. If I get rained out of my best chance to ski with Jamie, I may be grumpy.

• Baller
Nice night tonight and no ski partners available. Recruited very inexperienced driver whose 2 young daughters want to see me ski. Figure longer line skiing better than no line skiing so worth it. Will stay at 32 off and hopefully groove some technique.

• Baller
The weather here in the Chicago area has been nothing short of a freaking disaster this year. The river and the lakes have both flooded twice now and the first time was into 50 year territory. Emptied out for a month and then we had another 5"-7" of rain dumped on us in a few hours last week. When it's not flooded, we've had 90 degrees with 20 mph winds from the south or 65 degrees with 15 mph winds out of the northeast. Amazingly I've managed to ski about a half dozen times in between the floods. Just got off the phone with my dad, we were going to put the fishing boat in to watch the fireworks tomorrow but it's supposed to be 58 for a low with northeast winds so we said screw it. Might as well watch from shore with hot chocolate. I've always said Chicago is the worst possible place in the country to live if you like outdoor activities but it seems like the whole country is dealing with it this year.

• Baller
Turned out well tonight. Skied a few 28's to warm up the new driver. He seemed to be doing ok so ran some 32's. Still seemed ok so some 35's. After that pulled him open water and his young daughter as well finishing with some pulling drills to work on her stacked position. Nice night. Sent them home with a ski to try from my crawl space.

• Baller

@6balls - good on ya for working on form and breaking in a driver! Also great for giving some pointers and loaning a ski. That's what we need to grow this sport.

Looking like a great 84 degree day and sun tomorrow. Hopefully the wind will stay at bay. I'm skiing anyway!!!

• Baller

@skoot1123 fun little run here. Last year hosting @andyb and Lorna from GB, hosting @colo_skier recently, and then these folks. Was hoping to entice @wish while he is in MN but now wind going straight south the next number of days which will be tough for our slalom course sites.

Would like to get my new driver and his teenage girls out enough to get them to try some buoys...I think would be addicted for sure and judging by their free skiing and coach-ability could be rounding some buoys. Holy cow they had old skis...circa 80's.

Have not heard how the ski trial went yet. It's really not a loan...if they like the ski in the bag it's theirs. I've dished a new KD Platinum to a water skiing pastor who I worked with on a ski camp (I'm not religious), a D3 X5 pro to my ski partner, and this old Jobe to these folks now. I've dished kids barefoot wetsuits, regular wetsuits, vests etc to those in need.

Bottom line if they are taking up space in my crawlspace they are doing no one any good...they could be of benefit to someone. I've got a Nomad down there too that may go to the girls father if he's interested.

This stuff may grow the sport, but it also is just a feel good thing to do. Maybe what goes around comes around...but if not a good thing to do is still worth doing.

• Baller
Pretty sad for all the folks in the Northwest and Northeast when lake temperatures in Northern California are 10 degF warmer than your extended outlook temps. I feel for you guys. Come to CA and I'll give ya a pull! Our lake temp is pushing 90 degF. Major heat wave but no complaints since we are skiing a lot!

• Baller
Hey @AB can we have some of your rain? In Utah the temp is a balmy 106 but we have no water. We are almost out of our second course because the water is so low. On the one side of our course, it is literally about 24 inches deep. I should write a book about how to get up on a slalom ski while laying it perpendicular to the water....that or take up wake boarding!!!

• Baller

That sucks. We have had over 10" of rain in a month and a half, with more on the way. We snuck out ahead of rain today and now trying to get some yardwork in before the rain hits (priorities).

We cleaned out our drainage ditch pretty good and our water is holding steady at about 4" over optimum.

It's amazing what calm water can do for your skiing.