Lesson learned- HO Attack binding

DooSPX

I got my first ski in yesterday evening on my new-to-me HO CoX SL (yes, it took me that long) before dark in between the rain and storms. I picked up the Attack binding from Performance Ski on Sunday. I really think you need to have it pretty loose around the ankle (top lace). Had a stupid WTH kinda fall and it did not release, that hurt a bit. Must be just like the Radar Vector's I hear everyone talking about the top lace loose.

• Baller

I ski with HO Approach bindings. Double boots both front and rear and not a toe plate.

The first year I bought the ski an OTF and roll cost me an injury to my front foot & ankle because my rear foot came out of the back binding from not being set up as secure as the front one. I ended up rolling and of course the ski didn't and I tore ligaments and sprained it terribly. Didn't ski for 6 weeks. When I went back I was scared of further injury so learned how to tape my ankle in a way that it wouldn't turn nor rotate.

I now ski with both bindings tight so I will not, nor can not come out of the ski.

I think one has to decide what they want? Stay in or have both come off during a crash? If you are skiing with only a front binding and rear toe plate my suggestion might be to keep it loose enough that you do come out of it when you crash to avoid the type of injury I had a few years ago.

I am on a RTP. I was on doubles for years HO Venom's on a System 8 and a Vengeance, but it never really felt great to me. For some reason I feel I have more response and control with a RTP. Just gonna have to learn these new style bindings.

I had the attack binding on the front and rear last season and I dug the tip around the bouy and came forward, binding did not release. It stretched my front foot and all the ligaments and tendons around it cause a lot of pain. Was out for about 6-7 weeks. Came back having changed the bungee to a thiner one so that it would release and I was just getting back into the rhythm and flow of skiing again and the same thing happened, only much work this time. Spend the winter with the physio an lots of strengthening and still is weak. I should have torn all of my ligaments around my ankle and snapped my Achilles tendon however was very lucky (both times). I am staying well away from these bindings for good. I had the vectors before @DooSPX and they were a little better, not as stiff binding sides which I think helped. Rocking the Wileys till I can find something I am happy with. I would be careful anyone on the attack now.

@DooSPX Yeah I used to have both laces really tight on the front and then just the bottom tight on the back one however I would recommend finding a happy medium. I liked how hard the bindings were, gave good edge control through the start of your pre turn however just the release put me off.

• Baller
I tried a Basis boot on my new Co-X, which is very similar to the Attack except it doesn't have the top-most eyelets for the top lace. With the top lace set for safety, my lower leg was rattling all over the place and I almost crashed several times. Just my opinion but I still think a good fitting rubber binding has a better balance of safety and performance than these shoe type bindings.

Apex, Attack and Basis are all made to fit loosely at the top so you will eject. Sounds like you are cranking the bungee too tight. Same thing happened on the Radar RS-1's (Strada) when they first hit the market. Takes a bit of time to get use to the feeling.