Reflex+Dual-Loc, a potentially costly mix.

KcSwerver

• Baller

There I was sitting in the water dazed and confused after a hefty OTF I knew my reflex released. I twirled around to find my ski, as I see it, I see that the reflex hardware is gone. S&!t! Completely gone, and I know that it is sitting somewhere on the bottom of theis lake right now. As the boat comes around my good buddy @walleye is yelling at me to not move, because he saw where it went, he jums over and dives, comes up empty handed. He looks at me and then maps me out against the buoy and dives again, few seconds, and he comes up with a reflex baseplate. WOW my jaw is 2 feet below the surface of the water. I am stunned so thanks Tracy, you are the best! I owe you a ton!

So here is where the meat of this thread is supposed to be. If anyone out there has any passed Experiance with skis that can't be drilled into and reflex releases. It could be a very costly combination.

Currently I have six strips (around 12-14 inchs long) mated on both ski and binding. I was thinking tying a 10' string to my boot and the. Stuffing the excess inside of it, and the other end tied to the plate. If I released without the plate releasing, the ski would be fed ten feet before it yanked me. And if the plate came off I could just pull my string connected to my foot. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated and could save me like $250!

-KcSwerver

Just use the Reflex Bondplate. No Dual-loc at all. Fitted one of their new plates onto a Goode last week for someone. Excellent product. The new plate has replaceable threaded studs ( spare studs included ) and nyloc nuts so they don't need to be over tightened. See photo above in the post from @mattP .

• Baller

If you use duallock to hold the binding on the ski and not for the release properties, a stainless sheet metal screw will hold quite well as a safety. I held Kirk's rubber boot plate on his Goode with 4 screws and duallock and it worked well.

I'm pretty sure you can put 4 screw holes without voiding Goode's warranty.

I also think you can buy 4 Reflex bonds for less than $200. I picked up some similar looking items at the surplus store, add some JB weld and you can add that safety factor cheap.

Adding inserts is also not that difficult. They work very well. My skis have less material than Goodes but hold inserts well. Our old Goode guest ski (Kirk stole it for the UCLA team ski - @Than_Bogan your ski is in a very good place! Thanks) which had the mounting screws pulled out has held up fine after the installation of inserts in the pulled out holes. Don't be afraid of holes in the ski. Just drill them in traditional places so you have binding flexibility if you want to try some other bindings.

Eric

• Baller

@KcSwerver The two Goodes that I have used (Kirk's 9800 and Than's worn out 9400 that I occasionally enjoyed and is now being abused by UCLA's ski team) have held up fine with holes. I believe Dave Goode told me was OK to mount Kirk's new 9800 with 6 screws but I am not sure of the official policy. I drilled 4 holes after we struggled to make the duallock work. I'd drill it conventionally with 6 holes and use a conventional plate and no duallock. That's what I did with Than's old ski. Both held up well.

It was a fluke, the parts I found. Sorry I don't have a source. I never tried to make them work either. Reflex is probably the best source and for just the bonds I bet the price is reasonable. I'd still just keep it simple and drill.

Eric