Nano 1 Quality

John Brooks

• Baller

A few years ago I purchased a 9800 which the top separated from the ski within 60 days of purchase. I returned the ski to Goode and they promptly repaired it. The same thing happened a second time and Goode again repaired (vs. replacing) and said they would guarantee this not happen again, but I went ahead and got rid of the ski, afraid that this would happen again.

With that backdrop in mind, I have read a lot of great things about the N1 and have been considering trying one but wanted to hear from those of you who have been riding one for a while about any type quality issues with this ski.

Thanks

John

• Supporting Member

Well, the ski has only existed for a year (if even), so I'm not sure anyone can comment definitively on long-term quality.

But I can say they have really been standing behind this ski. I managed to break mine last August and they promptly replaced it at no charge.

Fwiw, no signs of wear or any potential problems so far!

My brother is a serious materials guy, and he notes that even the "short" nanotube resin (which has to be what they are using because anything else would cost astronomically more) is able to withstand way more flex cycles than traditional carbon fiber. So it's possible this ski might maintain great performance longer than past Goodes. But that is pure speculation on my part -- heck some folks have claimed there isn't a single nanotube of any length in there and it's pure marketing hype.

• Baller
Yet to see a D3 breaking, or delaminating, or peeling, or bubbling or else. Not that it cannot happen, but have not seen it. And I have seen a couple of Customs that are 10+ years old and have had 4+ owners...

• Baller

D3 are very well made, but I have also not seen Connelly's with that many issues.

Brother had an Obrien lose a top deck, I have a 9200 with bubbles and a delam.

That said - I think the reality is so long as they back it up, and it doesn't spectacularly fail then it is worth it - if they comment anything about not being able to verify the thermal exposure of the ski... Then buy a D3.

• Baller
Goode seems to have a history of QC problems.... Back in the 90's they were falling apart & breaking. No disrespect intended but you don't hear a lot about other brands and bad quality, I'm a bit of a fan of Goode but it seems to be a case by case basis with their sticks. You get the right one and your ok, at least they appear to stand behind the product if things start breaking..