Go back to double fixed or tune the ski for my turning issue *Video Added*

bojans

• Baller

Just back into skiing after several years off. I am on a 69" senate, fin setting per this thread http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/2173/settings-for-a-69-senate skiing at 32 mph right now. Current weight 235.

I used to ski with double fixed boots but this year started with a rtp to try and help with some back pain during deep water starts. With the stock fin settings I am well balanced on the ski, my pulls are strong and feel good. My issue is in the turns, I just cannot get the ski to come around. Should I go back to double fixed and see if that helps or try a fin adjustment? I would rather stay with the rtp...

Thanks

Scott

@bojans I also went from doubles to a hardshell & RTP the first week of June this year. I only have seven sets on them (need to do something about that) and the ride is getting better and better as my comfort level increases.

I agree with @Drago. Give it some time.

"Just back into skiing after several years off."

Also, great to see people coming back to this sport.

• Baller

Ok, got a video but it is only one pass. Current thinking is I need to move the binding forward one? For reference I used to ski into 28' at 36, been out for many years, currently in the process of getting back into shape, have dropped ~35 in the last few months and gettîng stronger. This all feels familiar but not second nature again. Thanks for any advise you guys can provide.

http://youtu.be/uLJKUNcHwEo

I just stumbled across this older post (sorry for the delayed response) and thought I'd add my $0.02. I can see you have skills and time on the water should easily get you back to where you were and beyond. You've undoubtedly noticed there are numerous BOS threads regarding the all important foundation of being STACKED.

I'll try not to ramble. While I couldn't see your roll-in for the gates, I'm guessing it was possibly a touch abrupt and you took a bit of a divot since it appears the rope is significantly loaded when you come into view. Yet you get into the first white water with decent position. Many aren't strong enough to do that. So, if my guess is correct, I'd recommend a very wide gate (well outside the 2 - 4 - 6 line) with a gentle roll-in which allows you to plant your elbows to the vest with straight relaxed arms. Basically just hold that position and let it build all the way through the wakes. It is not productive to get off that edge early at -15. Do not add to the load towards the wakes. Do ride the natural arc of the handle. This will develop plenty of angle with speed and space before buoy one.

The lighting (contrast) on my screen is a bit tough but it appears you are connected into the first white water. Behind the boat your handle seems to get away from your core - your arms extend towards the boat with the handle elevated. I hope I can insert images. Anyway, by Pic1, your shoulders are closed to the boat. Pic2 your shoulders are starting to face the wakes. You are inhibiting outbound travel. Pic3 - it looks like you're just about to release your right hand and your shoulders are closed big time. It is beneficial to hold the handle long provided it does not compromise outbound. If you have both hands still on the handle with closed shoulders you've held it too long (and something else probably wasn't perfect - ok none of us are perfect) in the pieces before that. Did I say I'd try not to ramble?

Ok, instead, I'll refer you to one of my all time favorites (one I don't review often enough):

http://www.ballofspray.com/tech-articles/87-what-the-heck-is-handle-control

And

Regina puts it all together here:

Take special note of where her handle is during all phases. Notice where the handle is as she goes through the second white water (and beyound) paying particular attention to her inside elbow (pretty much at a right angle) and how her shoulders stay open. Finally, the handle is forward and up at apex. She is well countered.

Ski well & please keep us posted.