Replace or repair my old Ron Marks Ski?

laserfjim

Hi. Let me apologize in advance for asking a question way below the “pay grade” of most of you on this forum, but y’all seem to be pretty tolerant of and helpful to beginners, so here goes:

I’ve been skiing on an old 170cm (67”) Ron Marks Comp Slalom Veloce Plus since I bought it new ~ 24-25 years ago. The ski is in really good condition and I still like it. But, its double wrap, double boot bindings are coming apart. I have tried repairing them with new neoprene, but each repair leads to another tear and the ski sits in the basement waiting for me to get around to another repair attempt. I took it into a local ski & watersports shop, but they only wanted to sell me a new ski. I’m not sure why, but I’m resistant to throwing this ski away and having to switch to the newer lace-up bindings. I’ve emailed Ron Marks in Australia to inquire if they may have any discontinued bindings that would fit. I haven’t received a response yet.

Are new skis and/or bindings that much more advanced that I should just replace this ski?

Some background: I’m 58, 5’10” & 175 lbs, and only ski recreationally. I learned to ski on the Mississippi River when I was 6. Until last year we traded use of our Beneteau sailboat for use of a friend’s 226 Larson. Last summer we bought a used Monterey BR210 in great condition, 220 hp. I don’t have any trouble with deep water starts with either boat. The backup ski I use is my friend’s Kidder Shaped Combo. It makes for easy starts, but poor control in turns – just doesn’t have any bite. Last year I bought a used Connelly without trying it. I can’t get my size 11 feet in its non-adjustable bindings.

I’ve been looking at skis on Skiitagain.com. There is a D3 X5 with Wiley pro wrap bindings for $ 250. I’m willing to risk that amount, but I hate to spend $ 500 or more for the likes of a Radar unless I’ve had a chance to try one. The D3 X5 is 66.5”. Would the ½” shorter length make much difference? The Wiley bindings are not adjustable. The seller warned me that the ski is virtually impossible to put on in the water, so if I fall, I’m SOL.

Thanks for any comments or advice.

• Baller_

Have skies/bindings advanced/? Light years

Is yours worth repairing? Only for wall art

On SkiItAgain, click on the "Asking $" this will sort by dolor amount. Scroll down to $250 and under and browse away. 100s under or at that price. Like the following Radar that's not $500

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Slalom&postid=22351

Do the same with boots and a toe kick. You'll find something at your price that will move you well past the stone age.

• Baller
I have a wall of old skis. Anyone of them that is over 15 years old I would not even think of skiing on - even for fun. They were great in their day, but as @wish said light years - light years. Also a 66" ski is perfect size for you.

• Baller_
@lazerfjim Size ski will also depend on the speeds you ski. Slower speeds (sub 30mph) may require a larger ski. As well as the ski shape itself. The one I posted and the one you posted are wider shaped skies making for more surface area. This in turn means a shorter ski is needed as compared to a traditional "skinny" ski. So size really does mater, as well as shape, and speed. Sorry, couldn't resist.