scuff mark on top of ski

fu_man

• Baller
In rearranging the equipment in the boat the other night my ski (Radar Senate) rubbed up against another or vice versa. I now have a long scuff mark on the top of my ski. Not sure, but it appears as if the scuff could be rubbed out. Any suggestions for what to use?

• Baller

Start with less abrasive stuff (white polishing cream) and graduate to harsher stuff (red) if you need to. May need to polish when done to match luster of the rest of ski if using harsher grit.

Try a polish like NuFinish first, as that may be enough without the rubbing compounds.

If you don't have rubbing compounds handy, try toothpaste.

• Baller_
I've used baking soda as a mild abrasive to remove scuffs and marks from fiberglass. It should work on other finished surfaces, like clearcoat on a ski, etc.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
By the way, I have also used baking soda to remove stains from vinyl boat seats. Whenever using it (for skis, boats or seats), mix with a bit of water into a soft paste.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Administrators
I would bet that any attempt to repair will make I look worse. That top sheet is some sort of printed poly. Experiment under bindings first or cover with a sticker

• Baller
Thanks guys. OK here is what I learned. Goo Gone and Goof Off didn't do squat for the scuff (nor did damage to the topcoat). I used a product like the Nu Finish. It's called Meguiar's ultimate compound. Said it was for clear coat scratches and it did a pretty good job. Got out most of the scuff without really damaging the top. It's not completely out but you REALLY have to look close to see it.

• Baller

It's bad enough that someone is worried about a scuff on the top of the ski. Hopefully you aren't skiing on the top of the ski.

Resurrecting a 5 year old thread about it is crazy.

It's a ski. Don't massage it. Ski on it!

Eric