Adjusting setting for weight loss

LZywicki1

• Baller
Sense the season began I've lost about 20-25 pounds do to illness (160 to 140), I'm on a D3 - X7 - 66", last couple of times out the felt big and heavy. What type of fin or binding adj. do you think would help until a can get a little more weight put on.

Larry -----<|

• Baller
@onamission I hope you're feeling a lot better now! Not knowing what your current setup is or what your skiing looks like means any advice is pretty speculative. But broad brush, if you want the ski to feel a bit shorter, you can move the fin forward ~.020" - .050" and move your bindings forward one hole. If it feels too heavy to roll up on edge, you can play around with a shallower fin. The shallower you go, the easier it changes edges and rolls up onto a cutting edge; you've gone too far when it starts spinning out after the on-side balls. Although more fin length makes it easier to engage the front of the ski, I'd resist going longer than factory spec because it detracts from the ski's consistency and as a result, confidence. Good Luck!

• Baller

@SkiJay Progress is slow, thanks for asking.

Fin is set at 6.858 = 2.495 = .765 flat = wing at 7 1/2 = RS1's on sequence plate 1 hole forward.

If a could figure out the gates at 28, I could run 28 about 80%. Now its 3-5 balls.

I feel like a have to work a lot harder to get any acceleration and then make the edge change. Could just be me being on the weak side, but both my X5 and X7 always seamed like they would almost ski themselves.

Larry -----<|

• Baller
@onamission I could change the turning on my x7 by moving the fin forward or back never adjust anything else after getting it set. Has the water heated up where your at. Mine felt pretty sluggish in warmer water. Also the x7 skied easiest when I was on the front of it.

• Baller

@onamission Your fin setup is quite a significant departure from the factory numbers. Since it's already moved ahead .025" and as shallow as I'd go, there's not much more you can do to make the ski feel shorter. If you are measuring your fin length with tips, then at 6.858" it's .072" shorter than factory which is quite a bit, but this makes sense given how shallow and forward it is. You could try lengthening the fin .010" at a time if you feel easier tip engagement would help.

When you say you are one hole forward on your sequence plate, are you one hole forward of 29½" from the lower seem on the front boot to the back of the ski (stock setup), or one hole forward of the middle hole on the plate. The middle hole on the Sequence plate does not put RS1s in the stock position on a D3.

Having said all that, if your ski was skiing well before you lost all the weight, you are probably right that about just not being strong enough yet. With it's big bevels, the X7 is a fairly high-effort ski by design. If it skied effortlessly for you before, you were strong and now maybe you are merely human and more aware of the X7's demanding design.

• Baller
One hole forward on the middle holes and best that I can measure with out taking the rear boot off in aprox. 29 5/8", give or take an 1/8". I'll try a little length and see what happens the next time out. Thanks.

Larry -----<|

• Baller

Finely had I chance to add a little length to the fin a bit (.020) and get back out on the course. Ran a nice 22, then a ugly 28 and then twice getting to 4 ball at 28., each time not as ugly.

Hope it wasn't just a fluke, I could get used to this.

Larry -----<|