Tailwind Help, it's been a while

2tracmind

• Baller

We have been lucky over the last 4 or so years with very little wind at our lake, however this year is different. For the life of me I can not remember what adjustments to make.

What are your 1-3 key points for skiing the tailwind ? Feel free to share headwind secrets too !

• Baller

I always try to stay early, so I actually use the tailwind to achieve more angle and speed than normal, so I then can get off my pulling edge sooner and have more room at the buoy to turn when it feels good.

I tried taking it easy and found too often when I am running "on time", I end up late out of the buoy.

• Supporting Member

Agree with all of the above. Patience and frankly faith are also important in a tail. Never try to force a turn onto a slack line. Wait for tension, and then put your faith in your next pull. The tailwind helps you build speed across, so you can make the time back.

But you'll never get the chance if you force a turn into a slack line.

• Baller
Agree with @Horton. I skied the first significant head/tails of the year this morning. Ran two sets and just kept the line at -32. Into and with the wind the key is to "ski right". In the old days I would have pulled harder and longer into the wind, really loading the line. Today I just skied to the wake, maintained good handle pressure after the wake, and was wide and early. Did the same thing in the tailwind with the exception of a slightly earlier pull out. Ski to the wake, maintain handle pressure, ski the pass. I find when I can convince myself to just ski technically correct and ignore the wind, the tail pass is a breeze.