Anna Gay 7480 at Southern Regionals--WOW

drew

• Baller

I am a trick dad. Slalom dad too, but as a trick dad, I am exposed to many of the intricacies and epic occurrences that make the event so interesting, but are so hard to follow from the outside--even by those who love the event, and would really like to know what is going on. Yesterday was a pinnacle in one of the most impressive stories I have had the fortune of following.

To set the stage, Anna is currently in the midst of her Girls 2 "graduation ceremony" (States, Regionals, Nationals). The nation's number one ranked open women's skier, and current U17 World Champion Erika Lang, has held the Girls 2 record of 6790 (an incredible feat--remember, Girls 2 is 10-13) since 2008.

Anna has had an outstanding senior year in the Girls 2 division this season; she won the Junior Masters, the Junior US Open, and has surpassed the national record score eight times (before yesterday) in competition, with at least one of these performances already rumored to have been approved, and others still in line. Though many would shoot for secure performances at Regionals and Nationals with the aim of the titles, Anna again went out with an aggressive run and nailed it, scoring 7480 at the Southern Regionals--this is an absolutely phenomenal performance.

The wave of young junior super star trick skiers owe a lot to Anna. She has been the leader throughout the last several years, and has had to blaze the trail for the younger generation to try to keep pace with. Of course, Anna too has had stars to look up to (like Erika, especially); but for the large part, due to geography and timing, Anna has had to lead. This current wave of talent would not be anything like what it is today without Anna.

Anna, like Erika, is also an amazing three event skier (running -35), and is shooting to make the US Team for the U17 Worlds in Ukraine July 2014.

Next on the list for Anna after Nationals is the U21 Worlds in Winter Garden, September 12-15.