Where does shortline start?

Skoot1123

• Administrators

@alex38

Is it elitist that I can not call myself an open skier, pro skier, or men's masters skier? I am none of these. Am not I a champion skier. I know I should be politically correct and say everyone is shortline skier.

In the end we all struggle at our own level. Whatever...

• Baller_
@EricW, I would send it to you, but I order the rope without it. Not that I am an awesome skier, but it is actually cheaper to order the rope starting at 15 off.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
shortline starts when you shorten the rope, 22 off. I have a practice PB of 2 @ 38, and tournament of 1 @35, but I would never want to take anything away from someone who accomplishes running 15 off at their max speed. I remember my first time I ran into 22 off and I was more excited than when I ran 35 for the first time.

• Baller_

Maybe we are making this too difficult by trying to combine abilities into a group for purposes of less classification. Don't use the term "shortline" at all. Just say the actual length.

"He's a 38 off skier"

"I'm a 32 off skier"

Or

"He's a purple skier"

"I'm a green skier"

Or

"He's an 11.25 meter skier"

"I'm a 13 meter skier"

etc.

That provides classification just like "shortline" or "not shortline" does. Get rid of the generic term and use the multiple classifications already afforded to us by the standard rope progression.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
@MISkier that is pretty much what I do. I don't ever call s'one a short-line skier(though I have opinions on what that may mean...somewhat impractical). I may say "hey, watch this dude...he runs 39" or I may also say "Check this out...this guy needs 5 @ 15 off for a PB and he's coming in now on that pass" I want everyone to PB!

• Baller
In the end - it is all about having fun. The other week I was running some 15's and upping the speed and thinking man, all this time I have before the ball, THIS IS awesome! Next day out I jump to 22 off and say the same thing. I'm still going to have fun regardless of the line length I'm skiing, I just may or may not be as successful some days - you'll have those!

• Baller
open skier pro skier and men's masters are already existing terms that already have defined meanings. the term shortline is also a existing term that has defined meaning but now you want to change it to mean a much higher level. i think the obvious question to ask is who wants to limit the term shortline to line lengths that are well above there own ability and may always be unnatainable for them? anyone who is regularly skiing at 38 off can easily decide they want 38 off to be the minimum we call shortline but how many 22 off skiers would favor that? not me and not anyone i know

• Baller
I keep coming back to what I thought would have been the best slogan for this website that was offered up a while back: "Shortline...Online" Little did I know that no one actually definitively knows what the term means! We seriously need a ruling from the old heads...without prior influence from @Horton! Ha!

• Baller

Is the 75 feet rope used in course skiing anymore?

I think I have read that up to type 1973 or so every skier has to start on 75 feet rope first pass.

After this the 60feet rope was the standad.

The Swede Lasse Björk seems to have had some impact on this rule change.

I have asked around a bit in Sweden and the generic opinion is 16 m is a short line.

My 2 cents

For me a short line is a bit shorter than the original line.

The original line is nowdays 18,25m (I have never seen anybody skied the course with 23 m) so 16 m is my understanding of a short line.

But I can also understand those who use the boie as reference and use the distance to the boie as reference.

My brain do not grasp the other reference points since they seems to relate to skills?

My goal is to run 22 off at 34 before I am to old to improve.

(I will then call me a short line skier)

It maybe does not seem impressive but I can not really dream of any other levels.

(Been skiing for three sesons and am now getting close at 29)

• Baller
my brother found a a 1989 awsa rule book in his old ski stuff and back then a full 75 foot rope was the max starting length except for 15 off max for men 1 men 2 and men 3 at the national championships. other sub rules allowed the tourny judges to raise the min speeds as much as 4 mph and for skiers to start at shorter ropes if they wanted. the term 'first cut' was used for 15 off 'second cut' for 22 off and so on.

• Baller

@mwetskier the 2013 AWSA rule book also includes virtually the same language. See here - http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/divisions/3event/2013AWSARuleBook.pdf - on page 45+/-. The terminology "first cut", "second cut", etc. is still used.

Since the introduction of "zero-based slalom scores" the minimum starting speed statement has change a bit. The LOC can now limit the number of passes but not fewer than four. Plus the minimum starting speed at Nationals is 31kph (or Level 7 min).

The 75' rope length is also still an AWSA standard.