Pumping out Gas Tank

SpartanSki

I have a 2003 Malibu Sportster and every so often it bogs and loses power. Pull to neutral, then go and it's fine. I had an earlier issue where it would bog on the start so I cleaned out the intake screen on the fuel pump and that went away. But this started the other day which leads me to believe I have something in the tank, it gets pulled up to the pump causing the boat to starve, pull to neutral to relieve suction and it drops whatever is in there (at least that's my theory).

So the question is, do I have to remove the tank, or can I pump it out using some type of external pump, a drill pump for example?

• Baller

Jody will probably give you a clue, but be careful using any kind of electrically driven pump, especially a drill due to sparks from the brush/armature. You just might have a detonation.

Just saw Jody had responded while I was typing.

• Baller
When I was going through my ECI diagnosis, I pulled my tank and inspected. Not that hard, just awkward to maneuver and refit on the fill tube which is pretty rigid. I syphoned all but a half gallon or so out and then used a small flashlight to look around. My boat was 12 years old and basically nothing on filter screen on pickup. Needed to pull tank to do a good job of it though.

• Baller

Carb or efi?

What kind of fuel? How old?

When did you change the fuel filter?

Does the fuel pump produce the correct pressure?

Lots of things to check before puking the tank.

Can drain it with a syphon hose but you better have a big Jerry can!

• Baller_
@spartanski: as noted a key to troubleshooting your issue would be carb v efi although your comment on inlet screen implies electric pump. But, thinking about your analysis consider this scenario - efi the fuel pump is driven by the 12 volt signal so it does not care what the throttle position is on the suction side as to whether it is attempting to suck fuel & if carb the pump is driven by the camshaft so it also does not really care what the throttle position and fills based on the float level. In addition, the suction hose in the tank should be a screen bell at the bottom of the tank facing downward with small side slots to allow the fuel to enter. Your analysis can very well be spot on, I think there are several other options to check first (and hopefully easier). You could pull the inlet side fuel line before the pump and blow air through it to push the debris away and see if that helps (not ideal, but not a hard thing to do). I would look for fuel system debris farther upstream.

@killer

- It's EFI, 330 monsoon

- we only run premium and no sunoco ethanol mixture crap, a week old maybe? And yes it rarely has more than 10 gallons of gas in it.

- Changed the fuel filter 2 weeks ago. The one at the stern under the vent grill, is there another one?

- Haven't checked pressure on the pump, that is a good idea, can you rent pressure testers for that?

If there is a screen on the pickup hose inside the tank then draining through the fill side is the only viable option for removing debris right (without removing it)? And still no guarantee that I got it all. Has anybody used an inspection camera for something like this?

• Baller

@spartanski my sporty had the carb 310 and it only had 1 filter, a spin on deal on the engine. Some call it a fuel/water seperator so no idea if your model has one of those as well.

sounds like you can rule most of what I said out, you run good fuel, ethanol and many of the tanks at marina's are complete junk.

try themalibucrew.com for more info as well, can't help you on exact protocol for testing the fuel pump, could also just try a new one.

• Baller_
I know some of those setups had an IAC motor issue, there is a check valve on the top of the fuel tank as a one way check valve and they can stick or lock up, do you have perfect pass and could that be unwinding at times when you throttle up?