How skis compare...

ToddL

• Baller

So, this year there are some hot skis with results and buzz. There have been great reviews, too, by many ballers. What I haven't seen is a lot of ski to ski comparisons. I was thinking that some ballers have skied on a few of these hot skis and have some general thoughts on how they differ in ride, response or feel. If so, maybe this thread is a good place to share those comparisons.

Goode Nano One

Goode Nano OneXT

2013 D3 Quest

2013 Radar Strada

Radar Vapor

2014 HO Syndicate A3

2013 HO Syndicate A3

2013 HO Syndicate S2

2013 Connelly Prophecy

2014 Connelly Prophecy

Etc.

Looking for comments like:

"Ski A rides deeper so it turns more consistently, but is not as fast as ski B."

"Ski C rewards calm body position, while ski D let's you scramble when needed."

Has anyone out there skied more that a couple of the skis above and care to share comparisons?

• Baller

@Than_Bogan - yep. But other's might have some insight they want to share.

I think we all know the basic concepts:

Stiffer/Lighter = faster, but less stable

Stable and predictable = less fast

It's those finer points that I think differentiate a ski from another...

Larger sweet spot

Prefers more stable stance

Allows aggressiveness in the turns

Rewards patience in the turns

etc.

Those types of comparisons are more what I am after.

Maybe all we need is a crisp statement summary from each of Horton's reviews next to each ski name. Thus, it is not a comparison as much as the primary elements which describe each ski, concise enough to view them next to each other as context.

• Baller
You could add the new Razor in there...have heard zippo reviews on it...but my second full season on their prior design has been even better than the first despite a lack of water time. It's a heckuva ski and they seem to fly under the radar for some reason.

• Administrators

If accuracy is important, directly comparing skis is dangerous thing to do. It is extremely subjective. To have a high enough confidence to state that one ski is faster or holds more angle than another is impossible until we get telemetry. For my reviews I try to only state attributes of a ski that I can defend.

It takes me about a month to review a ski. The first few rides are first dates. I love almost every ski on the first date. Then there is a phase of adjusting (me and the ski). Then there is a phase of just riding the ski and trying to put up scores. Finally there is a phase of skiing & thinking “how the heck do I describe this thing”.

If I was to try to review a ski over a few days and then the next ski so I could do a fast comparison you would get the data you are asking for but it would be FAR less accurate. As an example I did not like the HO S2 for the first week to two. After I cooked my own settings and adjusted to it, I reset my tournament PB by 3 ½ balls.

This week I am trying to wrap up the A3 review. If you ask me today about the Quest, I really have to think about. That was 4 skis ago. I know what I tell skiers about the Quest but can I fairly compare it to other skis? Not really. I know which ski works better for me but now we are getting into the weeds of my personal skiing.

If you read my reviews carefully you can tell when I like a ski or not. All skis have positive & negative attributes plus quirks. I attempt to state what skier strengths or weaknesses work or do not work with each ski or where the ski shines or fails. My reviews are far from perfect but I do not know any other way to do it. Let’s hope we get telemetry one of these days.

• Baller_
2011 I abandond tournaments and I tried every ski out there most for 2 weeks at a time and some longer. I think @Horton is 100% right. It's based off personal prefarance. I took all of them into deep 38 and a few into 39. All had amazing but differant qualities. And all had quirks. I learned so much that summer on how ski designs make a differance and how each worked. They really all were/are just differant. Rode my S2 right before the Mapple 6.0 recently. Crazy differant. So much that I think it comes down to a personal like more then anything else. Wish I could ride the M6 for a couple weeks.

• Baller

Thanks, @Wish / @Horton

If only.... If only we could map skis differences to skier style or skier strengths/weaknesses. Pipe dream I guess.

I guess the closest I could get to what I originally asked for would be to do a summary of each of @Horton's reviews... Yeah, I'll get right on that after... Hey! you headed to the lake? Wait up!

• Administrators

@ToddL

I wish there was an easier answer. I agonize over every review and most of the time I do not think they are descriptive enough. Some skis are easier to describe than others.

If you know your own skiing style my reviews should help you pick a ski. If you do not know what your strengths and weaknesses it is all a crap shoot.

• Baller

@Horton - yep. Your reviews are some of the best ever in our sport!

(My weakness is that I don't have a ball of hair to slow me down into my off-side. You prove that works. Also, just look at @Super_Chicken... The Optimal Bun Angle is getting her into -38!)

• Baller

I stand by my thought that the ultimate would be a reference that looks like this:

Skiers who... (style/strength/weakness), should try these skis (list of matched skis)

Skiers who... (style/strength/weakness), should try these skis...

Skiers who... (style/strength/weakness), should try these skis...

Everyone likes/skis differently from each other. I get that. So, the above summaries of Horton's reviews would be the most helpful for skiers with money burning a hole in their pockets to buy a new ride.

• Baller

@scotchipman Like @Horton said in another thread, if you read between the lines, you know what ski he likes best. Last year reading between the lines told me it was between the Nano One and the Prophecy. It was hard to tell. This year, I'm fairly confident the A3 edged out the Prophecy, but he really liked them both. In fact, before the A3 review was finished, my impression was he liked the Prophecy in 2012 and even more in 2013 so much that I had to try one for myself (I was riding a 2013 A3 at the time). Now I'm really looking forward to the review of the ski in that Radar box in his living room he posted the other day.

Disclaimer: I'm just reading between the lines and could be wrong.

• Baller
@toddl the problem is ....what a problem to have?.... they are all very good skis. with the proper setup, you CAN'T go wrong. The ski companies have done a great job producing great high end skis. It just seems that you try one and dial it in , and you're good to go!

• Baller

It's very difficult to get decent water time with try before you buy for say 4 skis you are looking seriously at. Therefore isn't it really a case of choosing one and just getting used to it? As @liquid d says, use it long enough to get it dialed in and surely you can make any good ski work for you? I don't understand people who buy $1500 odd skis and say they can't use them after two weeks and sell them.