Help with Early stage ski school planning

KcSwerver

• Baller

Hi I'm Bryan,

I love skiing, and although i have made ALOT of progress this year i think if i got some pro coaching i could do even more.

Background:

I have never gone to a ski school

I ski mostly at -15 off 34 and 36mph but made my first -22 today!

I would call myself a smooth/technical skier who wants to improve as efficiently and quickly as i can

I ski on an HO so maybe someone like terry winter or Jon Travers could help me with mechanics of the ski

I am looking for either winter or early early spring session so somewhere warm would be cool.

I am located in kansas so there is going to be a big travel no matter where i go location is not really what we are worried about

Cost effective, im guessing they will all have relative pricing but if there is a strategy to consolidate $ id love to hear!

if there is anything not on here that you think i should be looking for, please help me out and if there are any suggestions i would love to know them!

Thanks for the Help

-Bryan

• Baller
You should definitely have Travers ski school on your list. I ski there several times a year, and this is a place where someone like you would advance significantly in a short time. They have housing on site, the best people and of course, they know a lot about your ski. Make sure you get a few sets with Jack coaching-he is a fantastic coach. The other place I would highly recommend is Coble Ski School, although they are open spring/summer.

• Baller
I would second Coble's ski school. If that doesn't work I would recommend something that is longer than just one or two coaching lessons. When you get a lot of skiing in during one week that is where you will see the most improvement. I give credit to Coble's for my improvement this year.

• Baller
Bryan, those are great ski schools. If you want help setting up the HO and get some great coaching, come down to LaPoint Ski Park in Orlando and ski with KLP. I can get you set up here, and do some coached sets, and then some non coached sets too, if you want. You will learn a lot from Kris about ski set up. I have a house for short term rental available near the lake about 20 minutes, check it out at vrbo.com/88077. I will rent it to any baller for $100/night.

• Baller
@KcSwerver If you happen to end up in the Orlando area, check out @drew ross. Although I've been injured most of the year, when I started skiing again, his coaching allowed me to get back to form in a couple of weeks. Keep in mind that his daughter broke the girls 1 slalom record that was held by Regina. You can find him at drewrossskiacademy.com

• Baller
@SkiKolb your place looks great and I'm interested in a long (thursday - Monday) weekend with 2 sets per day and stay at house. There are about 6 guys from our ski club in Ontario Canada that are planning a trip this October. Last year the group went to Tampa and arranged a 5 day 2 set package at McCormicks, and got hotel rooms. this looks like it may be a great option and something different. Is it possible to get a similar package at LaPoint Ski Park? thanks

• Baller_

Coble's is awesome (in fact, if I went there, I think I would want to take driving lessons from Chris, too), but last I looked they were closed in the winter, opening around April 1.

If what you want is winter slalom, let me turn you on to a secret. Wade Cox will be back in business this winter.

Lpskier

• Baller

I really like Seth Stisher @sethski. Great atmosphere and vibe. He will get right to what will give you the greatest chance to improve. That said, it might not be what you think it is, so no matter who you go to make sure you go with a wide open mind and absolutely don't worry about ball count while being coached.

I have never been to Matt Rini but he comes very highly recommended.

Don't worry too much about ski setup with any of these guys. If something is truly wrong, any of them will be able to fix that. There is just so much to learn about skiing and if you just feel something while there you'll take home with you and never forget it.

• Baller
@tru-jack yes your group is exactly what we are looking for. What are your dates? I will be there in October as well, if we overlap I have access to the house next door to mine for a good rate as well. We are charging $30/set for boat with driver, and one of the LaPoints will be your driver! Coached sets are $50/set, that is the lowest around town. I will do $100/ night for the house and all six will fit fine, it is 4 br with 2 additional sleeping cots available. I will send you a pm with more details.

• Baller

Another great option with 5 or 6 guys is this house just outside Orlando. You get the house on the lake WITH a mastercraft 197 with ZO. All you have to do is put gas in the tank! The course is 50 feet off the dock with great conditions. Our group of guys has been going there for three years in a row and can say its amazing. The owner Drew and his wife are great people and use the house as a winter ski getaway. It's near Clermont fl and about 20 mins to the airport.

@SkiKolb has a sweet setup also with the Lapoint ski park. Great prices for sets especially with the Lapoints actually driving and coaching. We may only be 3 guys for our trip this year and are going to look at this setup for sure.

http://www.vrbo.com/182514

• Supporting Member

KcSwerver are you the one that came down to the Santa Clara tournament, that had family in the area? The only point I was making was that if that's you. You are about 2 hours from Terry

Winter and a good hour from Greg Badal. I've had coaching from both and would highly recommend either one.