Questions about buying a boat

fu_man

• Baller
I am wondering about buying a 7 year old boat with only 50 hours on the original engine. I have read other posts regarding boats with over a 1000 hours but being well taken care of versus potential issues with engines because they have just sat around unused. On the other hand, with only 50 hours there hasn't been much wear and tear on the engine. I am wondering what I should be looking for if I were to go have a look and drive/ski it aside from obvious corrosion. Thanks in advance for your thoughts/advice.

• Baller
Worst thing to do to anything mechanical is to just let it sit...but I'd try to find out what the story behind the low hours is. If it was stored properly and just not taken out of storage for a few years because of personal issues or whatever, that's a different story. You'll probably be able to tell if it was taken care of as opposed to neglected when you see it. My biggest concern would be whether it sat with stale fuel and used oil in it for most of its life, or not. You'll probably never know but if you trust your gut feeling about it when you look at it you'll probably be fine.

• Baller

I bought a 99 last year with 156 hrs. it had been setting in a garage for years without being used. I spent a couple of weeks getting it up and running. Removed fuel tank, replaced fuel lines, fuel filters, replaced fuel pump, new blower, still need to replace the bilge pump. $1000 plus later it was going. Installed perfect pass over the winter which I'm still trying to dial in. I got a pretty good deal but still might have been better off buying something with hours. I'm thinking in a few years I'll trade up for newer boat with ZO, got get my credit score up first.

If the boat has had the ecm change pretty sure the hours would go back to zero.

• Baller

Everything is repairable for the right price in my book. It kinda depends on how much effort you want to put into both the test drive and the first year you own it since most problems from used stuff pop up fairly quickly.

Either way, it doesn't hurt to spend 10-20 minutes on the phone with the seller to get the full scoop before even looking at it. You may find out things that can make your decision much easier real quick. Like was it stored in a garage with a cover on it except on rare occasions where they had the boat running for 30-45 seconds at a time for a ski pass or was it sitting in a stagnant lake for 7 years and used 5-10 hours at a time on holiday weekends.

• Baller_

My first inboard was a 4 year old MasterCraft with 33 hours on it. It was spotless and the trailer tires (original) still had those manufacturing nubs on them that wear off after a while. It had been in and out each year and only driven 5 miles to the dealer for winterization. I put more miles on the trailer driving it home and more hours that season than it had. I never had a problem with it. I bet that the winterization, annual oil change, and fuel stabilization had a big impact on it's health. So, ask how it was cared for each year and check the records, if possible. Ask why the low usage and seek verification if you think it is suspicious. In my case, I think the owner (a busy dentist that had a few bucks and other homes) spent more time on the jet skis and pontoon.

As always, drive it, ski it, inspect it, listen to it and run it a while.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

In '09 I bought a '93 Prostar with about 150 actual hours. It didn't have a single issue except it was so nice I felt guilty using it! It always started and never left us stranded. I've always heard that you should be wary of an unused boat but it certainly was not my experience.

Be sure to take any possible boat purchase to a good mechanic and have a pre-buy inspection. Also drive and ski behind the boat before you buy.

With little use, you may have seals and bearings that may be a bit leaky. Put into the fuel tank a good topside lube (Lucas Oil gas treatment or similar) then, a fresh oil change with some non-synthetic dino oil (Castrol GTX is one) and let it run for an hour on a Fake-a-Lake. Let is set overnight with some papertowels under it. Look for drips. If the crank seals are still good, then everything else is easy to repair.

I am in MI, if you want a second opinion, let me know. I think you will be good. Storage for 7-years is not a big deal with the materials used in the motors. We are not using paper and cork much anymore.

• Baller

In 2004 I bought a 1987 Dixie Super Skier 299 with 104 hours on it. GREAT FIRST BOAT. Did more to the trailer than the boat. Ran it for 5 years and sold it for $1500 more than I paid. Didn't put anything into it other than my own time and energy.

In 2009 I bought a 2003 Nautique 196 LE with 27 hours on it. BEST SECOND BOAT I EVER BOUGHT! Only issue was a heater core for the accessory heat. Just sat with water/air in it and rotted it out!

I would have ZERO issue buying a light use boat that was 7-10 years old. If you are able to do the little things on your own, it will be a low cost event.

HOWEVER, if the guy that has it has trashed it in those 50 hours...... or didn't treat the fuel and it has sat for 5 years........

SO, do get the story. I knew the previous owner of my Nautique and had probably been in the boat for 15 of the 27 hours. So I knew the risk.

• Baller
Bought an '89 CCSN2001 in 2005 with 210 hrs on it, did very little (oil, impeller, fuel filter, etc) After 1st 20 hrs change the oil, then every 30. I also drove the first 10hrs like it was a new motor taking it pretty darn easy and only started hitting it hard after that. GREAT BOAT sold it in 2007 for 1000 more than I paid and put a couple of hundred hours on it....