MOOSE and lasers

gator1

So last night, a bull moose is in the deep end of our lake along with a cow and a yearling. For a boy from Illinois, altering the boat path to avoid an 1800 lb pissed off ungulate is a surreal experience. I've dealt with water mocassins back home, and chased gators off the ramp when visiting my buddy in FL, but a fricking bull moose was a new one for me. According to the shootemup locals here in the Pacific NW, bullwinkle was looking for some sexy time during something called the rut and we were ruining the mood. Apparently the sounds of a boat and a skier gently cursing are not Barry White to a moose. Although we are running ZO, and the course is anchored, this was not a tournament so there was no real danger. We did a dream weave around moosie boy and his paramour. Seemed a little declasse for the yearling to be there too, but what do I know of moose etiquette?

Speaking of dream weaves, anybody ever played around with mounting a laser pointer at the end of the course, a white screen on the center of the windshield, and letting the driver watch the red dot? My guys have been coming back from China with these $65 laser pointers that'll burn a hole in a business card in about a half second. Or, vice versus, mounting said laser on a gyro in the boat and pointing it at a white screen at the end of the lake?

Having said that, I'm reminded of the 80's and the first time I took my cruise control up to the tour stop in Madison, and was told by Jack Walker "the day that's approved is the day I stop driving".

The only thing separating a tournament from a practice run now is boat path, and personal integrity.

I get tired enough of this tournament vs. dream weave crap, and a laser, a photovoltaic sensing sheet, a servo motor and the gyro loop out of a toy helicopter and WE'RE IN THE OLYMPICS BABY. Way under a grand per boat. We can even provide a menu screen that shows deviation and speed like the ones that appear to be accepted for max speed of patrollers on the frozen H2O.

BTW, I just set a PRACTICE PB at drunk zero turning radius lawn mowing. I utilized 84% trailing arm pressure around the trees. My tire settings were 24 PSI on the rears, 18 PSI on the fronts, and my toe in was 3 degrees. My drunk accelerant was NO-LI Jet Star imperial IPA. Brewed right here on at the practice site.

• Baller

@gator1 I did not know what to expect with that thread title..

Ive dealt with gators before, but a moose thats a whole nother ball game!

Hmm laser, go for it. Sounds like a cool project!

As for that last paragraph that is freaking hilarious, I almost spit out some of this Kilo Kai..

Hmm NO-LI Jet Star imperial Practice Site IPA.. now you are talking!!

• Supporting Member

"Philosophers! Get a job, thinkie-boy!"

So ends a classic Dr. Doofenshmirtz rant (Phineas and Ferb) in which he mentions the "age old question" that @AB refers to, and indeed it guides his evil scheme for the day*. As he usually does, he interrupts his own sentence so say something along the lines of "of course it does" before getting to his classic condemnation of philosophers.

*His scheme involves modifying the laws of physics so that when trees fall they whisper "Doofenshmirtz." By becoming the answer to an age old question, he figures he'll probably be able to take over the tri-state area...