Wide skis vs narrow skis

ToddF

• Administrators

As with everything in this sport I do not think it that simple.

Wider skis are often shorter (not always). So the amount of ski in the water is (roughly) the same but in a different place. It is possible that you are trading roll (right to left) stability for pitch (tip height) stability.

If the width is mostly in the tail the ski will ride flatter in the water as the tail will ride higher. Is that a good thing? Maybe. It will make a ski faster but it will turn differently. As we add width under the feet the ski will possibly feel more stable from edge change to apex but exactly were that width starts and ends can impact a number of things.

If you talk to anyone who designs skis you will find that they work on "stuff" year round. I think it is a mistake to think you can see a design and think that is the ski for me. Ski shape (silhouette) is maybe the hardest part of the design process. Get it wrong by .003 and the ski just might suck.

• Baller
I've always kinda wondered what the tradeoffs really were with ski's like the Goode traditional vs mid-ride vs wide-ride. Is it something that can be described or is it more of a feel that you either like or don't? I would certainly think they would all react differently in the course but very curious how they react differently.

• Baller

It's all a feel thing. Silhouette is just one factor in ski design. Demo as much as you can without too many prejudices. Perhaps the best filter to decide what to demo is what are your buddies skiing well on. Try that and trust that the designer has done everything (including shape/width) right. Or break out the Superfil...

Eric

switched to a mid for the first time, wish I'd done it when they first come out. No ski has ever felt so natural, the difference in my skiing and confidence is dramatic. And for the record it's not a Goode. Obviously it's down to technique and preference but I question why more manufactures don't do them.