Best slalom ski for 5 year old

southernextreme

• Baller_

Try this or google. http://www.wateroutfitters.com/O'Brien-Jr.-Amigo-Junior-Combo-Water-Skis-With-Bindings/41721P,default,pd.html

I would strongly recommend keeping her on 2 and running the course instead of pushing slalom too soon. She can start at 10mph and go up to 18 or so, then the transition to running the course on 1 will be very easy. She can stay on a single Amigo all the way up to 25 mph (I saw a G1 run 25 at a nationals on a wide slalom). She will learn to run a lot of passes that way!

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
All 3 of my sons slalomed with a Jr. Amigo until they could run the course at about 23-25 mph. It's a great ski for learning. I put a Wileys junior rubber binding on it and it worked great for them.

• Baller
I witnessed a young girl skiing in the Regionals. Girls 1, ( on two skies), I think she started at 16 MPH or so, well she made about 6 passed, ( in the Regionals, on two skies). I was thinking, that was really neat. The basics are the same, one ski or two. Then the following year, I looked at the regional results, and guess who won Girls one. Yep, same little Girl, however that year she was on one ski.

• Baller
My sons skied the course initially with 2 skis until they learned to slalom. They skied long line until about 28-30 mph, then switched to 15 off. And finally, the lighter junior line is great for the young ones who don't weigh much because a regular rope seems to drop in the water when they turn around balls. My seven and nine year old still used the junior line this year.

• Baller_

The normal 80 strand ropes will drag in the water and catch the wakes, especially at slow speeds. You can either get a 60 strand kid rope or go to Home Depot, buy 100' of 1/4" nylon rope, cut to 70' and attach a normal handle. You can easily splice in 15, 22, and 28 off loops when the time comes.

My 11 yo son just switched from the Home Depot line this year.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

Both my daughters learned on the Jr Vortex. Their friends (and small adults) have also had a really easy time learning on them. I added some tail weights to assist w/ the starts. My older daughter began slalom deep water starts on the Jr Vortex around 8 or 9yo (w/ help of a deep vee handle). She was a big kid and I found the ski was only good up to about 18mph. After that, it looked like it wanted to "speed wobble"...probably due to the plastic fin.

I quickly got her on a dedicated slalom ski.

I used to ski with a great young skier whowas small for his age. He rode an O'Brien Amigo, but it was very different than the Amigo shaped combos I see now. I could be way off but it seems like these would be tough to use as a slalom for anything more than learning to cross the wake. Are there other skis I'm missing? Found my daughter a good condition used HO Revolt years ago. Nice ski and got a decent trade on it when she was done with it.