Why no vest when tricking?

behindpropellers

• Baller
All of my ski buddies that trick use no vest. They have been tricking for 30+ years with no vest and used to claim it interfered with handle passes, etc. I have been tricking for 10 or so years, trained by them, and I have nearly caught up to most of them in ability....all while wearing a vest. I don't understand it either.

• Baller
The idea is that your not going very fast (16,17 mph) because of that you dont have the risk of getting hurt compared to slalom and jump (slalom- 36 mph base speed + added speed due to short rope=== FAST. Jump= self explanatory) because of the lack of risk no reason to wear the vest that gets in the way

• Baller

A vest does slightly restrict your movement and ability to pass the handle. Feeble excuse for avoiding a vest as none of my tricks are impossible with a reasonable vest. I know several top skiers who do wear vests. If it makes you more comfortable, by all means wear a vest!

I don't personally wear a vest. I used to wear a wetsuit to prevent slaps from falls and chafing from the handle. But it's too hot in my lake in the summer so I gave it up and now ski bare. In my 35+ years of tricking I have never whacked myself hard enough to get any utility from a vest. A few difficult injuries but no need for a vest. I did use a vest to learn flips. I have needed a vest a few times from slalom falls. Wakeboard falls need a vest and a helmet! I do use a neck brace - made from the guts of a vest so hopefully I wont sink all the way to the bottom in the worst case fall. But there is not much personally observed risk incentive to force vest usage in tricks for me.

I do train in exactly the outfit I will ski a big tournament in. If the water will be cold I will broil in training in a wetsuit. If I compete in a bib, I will practice with a bib. If a vest is required, I will happily train in a vest. The differences are real - but entirely manageable. Wear what you want.

Eric

• Baller

what @eleeski said.

I also train in the outfit I ski tournaments in. I know last year I was headed up to Va. for a tournament and was unsure of the water temp so I stayed in my wetsuit just a week or two longer than others. Also if you have never skied in a bib and will have to ski in a bib its good to practice in one. All that flapping about is a bit distracting the first time out.

• Baller
I'm a fairly solid individual and I flat out do not float in the pull over vests so I trick in just my rash guard because if I were to use my slalom vest which is buoyant enough to keep my head out of the water without interfering with my skiing I would and have had a very difficult time with handle passes and the wrap back position. I don't see the reason for not using a pull over vest if it keeps you on top of the water but since my head would be under with or without it I'm not going to spend $80 for a vest I'd only use for trick.

• Baller
I learned to trick as a kid with the bulky nylon ski vests and I don't find that an Eagle vest provides any restrictions. I still make my kid trick in a vest and I definitely think it is crazy to learn to flip without wearing a vest.

• Baller

Open/public water I will trick with a pull over vest for a little added safety and to keep the local law enforcement happy. Also, the water depth of the public lake I frequent ranges from 75 to 350ft... If you go under, you won't be found for a long time.

Private lake I will usually trick without a vest, I will wear a rash guard or wetsuit top if it isn't super hot. I can complete my entire trick run with a vest on, however I miss handle passes more often. I could probably adapt as the difference isn't that big...

• Baller

As a show skier, I have seen ugly injuries and if no flotation had been worn, they would have been worse. The non-CG approved vest came from show skiing from the Bonifay family. Betty created them for show skiing and her boys Parks & Shane introduced them to wakeboarding. Several years later, they came to the 3 event scene for slalom. Honestly, with trick skiers pushing the envelope with more difficult tricks and flipping, I do not understand why they do not wear them. I wear flotation when I trick and swivel. Occasionally I ski without prior to a tournament. The is no restriction of movement or flexibility....and trust me, some of the stuff we do on swivel requires much flexibility and mobility. Remember when we didn't wear seat belts in cars, helmets on bikes or helmets when jumping?????????

• Baller

I was told today that a female top trick skier uses a very thin vest when training.

Maybe special made for tricks?

Could it be that there a trick vest on the way to the market??

Would you gurus consider a 2mm or thicker full suit to provide sufficient flotation, to reasonable well replace a trick vest?

• Baller
@gsm_peter any flotation is better than no flotation for conserving energy you might better expend for tricks than treading water during practice. Wear what you are comfortable with and the law allows. I use an O'neill Gooru vest for practice. In tournaments I wear a 2mm sleeveless Camaro top just so I don't feel naked. Even the camaro gives me a bit of flotation to help conserve energy.

• Baller

@dchristman

I almost always ski with a long suite or neo shorts and top in really hot water.

Fully agree to not ski when to cold. We do not hardly ever get warm water....

I some times use the slalom west when tricking.

We are lucky in Sweden.

In Sweden there are not so many laws around boating but you have a high responsibility when accidents occur. (Low alkohol limits has come last years).

Wests are optional but I always carry one in boats. Most folks do.

Same on water.

There is no need for a spotter so we often just drive each other.

Water sports are allowed everywhere except on 'no motor lakes', harbors, speed limits and stuff like that.

The guy that told me about the vest came recently back from Orlando....

• Baller
Having recently purchased an Eagle vest, I REALLY can't understand the no vest thing now. I somewhat understood, not agree but understood, until I've now tricked with the Eagle vest. It's literally like wearing a rash guard or thin wetsuit without sleeves. I'm still trying to talk my ski buddies into wearing a vest when they trick...but it's not happening.

several have already hinted at it... back in the day vest really did hinder performance (think of 1970s-80s vest)... fast FWD to modern vest not so much. For many years I did most of my tricking in man-made lakes were you could touch so a non-issue and then we redug our lake and I started wearing a vest to conserve energy that could be better spent tricking (and treading water aggravated my skiers elbow and knee injury).

I'm not the only one... Erika Lang tricks in a vest... including all of her world records, but agree I don't know why more don't.

Have a Gold Medal Day!

--4est