SN 196 excalibur sputtering on take-off: Help!

jdk99

• Baller

2003 SN 196 excalibur 330.

Drysuit run yesterday.

On holeshot/initial acceleration, sputters misses for 1 to 2 seconds then accelerates to speed without issue. No issues idling, or at speed. Black smoke from exhaust when sputters. Becomes progressively worse during the course of a given outing but only on initial acceleration. After 3 or 4 sets, will actually stall out on acceleration and "check engine" light comes on. Will restart after several cranks and light goes off.

Thoughts greatly appreciated.

• Baller_
Black smoke is a rich condition. You might have a leaking injector assuming fuel injection. Another hint if a fair leak will be a rising oil level and thinning of the oil. If carbed, there are several possibilities, perhaps the accelerator pump(s) are leaking or debris in the system is causing another issue such as a high float level.

• Baller
OK. Checked the distributor. Looks brand new and in fact it's marked as having been replaced in May. Back to the drawing board. Perhaps leaking injector as per @DW. At the end of my wrenching ability. Time to take it in unless anyone else has an idea.

• Baller

My thoughts were with @DW. When you see black smoke, usually means too much fuel and running rich. In the old days, I tore carbs apart on cars and boats, and rebuilt them. Nowadays, I don't know much about EFI, so would go to Planet Nautique or Correct Craft Fan websites and post a question out there, or take it to a dealer. There are some pretty sharp mechanics on those websites, and if you look around, something like it may have already been posted.

I could only offer that you could pull each spark plug to see if one or a couple are blacker than the others, after just idling and seeing the black smoke. If you run up the rpms, you would probably burn the excess fuel off and not be able to see as much. That might help isolate what injector is bad, if it is.

If you haven't, might not be a bad idea to run some Seafoam cleaner through a tank of gas, or a good fuel injector cleaner.

• Baller

Could be fuel pump or fuel regulator or even fuel filter. There should be a valve port on the fuel line that is threaded. You can rent gauges at an autoparts store. From my experiences those engines are 40 or 60 psi depending on year and have to stay pretty close to that within about 5 psi.

There is also fuel injector cleaning kits were you hook to the pressure port and disable the pump so its running straight cleaning. It's a good idea to do this every few years anyway.

• Baller
My analysis is an electrical/electronics problem. Here's why: you report no problems at idle, if an injector problem it would be rich at idle, sputter/miss at acceleration usually indicates a lean condition as opposed to rich, so I don't think it's a fuel delivery problem, as someone else mentioned you're just not burning the fuel that is delivered. My .02.

• Baller
Thx guys. Plugs replaced last may. Pulled the plugs. 2 of the 8 had cracks in the porcelain but otherwise looked ok. Could cracked plugs do it? Will replace but don't want to pull her to the lake to test if a plug change isnt likely the issue.

• Baller_
Cracked porcelain allows the spark to jump to ground (cylinder head) rather than the plug gap. You can test by running in the dark and simply looking to see the spark jump. The key will be to understand how they cracked. Usually install or removal is the cause particularly working around the exhaust manifolds. Make sure the plug socket does not put a side load on the tip of the plug due to rubbing on the exhaust manifold, if yes, get a different socket (thinner).

• Baller
Thanks guys. @ AB, plugs looked good otherwise, just a light brown without heavy black. Plugs were placed by someone else last may. No issue removing with standard plug socket (PCM 330 has pretty easy access). I'll replace em and give it a go. We shall see.