Warming up before skiing

MattP

• Baller

As a coach something I am adamant about my rowers doing is warming up correctly. I have them do a dynamic warm up to start the day and a static strech post working out. While I do see some skiers warming before their sets I don’t see nearly enough, though this number tends to increase as the ability of the skier increases. Coincidence?

I warm up when I think about it which has increased in the past year and usually consists of me doing some static stretching. I see skiers jump in the water after they have been driving in the car, driving the boat for who knows how long or spotting other skiers. I made a more conscious effort this year to get out of the seat at least one or two skiers before my turn comes up and not to ski if I just pulled up at the lake.

We have all had those sets where we jump from the drivers seat straight into the water and either ski really well or PB. I think that this subconsciously creates a mind set that warming up is not needed as much for this sport as it is in others. I believe I am a victim of this but I am trying to break my habits.

What do you do to warm up before skiing? What do you think is best way for a skier to warm up?

• Baller
Great topic @MattP - I believe wholeheartedly that you achieve your optimum athletic potential and reduce risk of injury when your body & muscles have been actively awakened. For me that means stretching before every set followed by some sort of active warm up - for stretching its usually leg swings, back & shoulder stretches, kipping from a pull up bar, etc. - As for active warm-up I typically do any two of the following (light jog (1/4-1/2mile), push-ups & pullups, body squats and lunges, jump off the dock and swim for 200m or so. This for me allows me to feel ready to ski and reduces any lethargy that may have set in prior to skiing

• Baller
I'm with you. At the beginning and mid season, I either couldn't remember stretch or always remembered to stretch when the ski was on and I'm ready to jump in. At that point it's really too late and I don't like to hold people up. I started doing static leg stretches especially calves and inner thighs. Then would swing my arms a little too loosen up my shoulders. If my back feels tight, I'll stretch that too. Out everything I do, I feel like calves stretching gets me in a better position through the wakes because it allows me to push knees forward. I'm curious what others say because even that little bit really helped me ski better and more consistent. I'm definitely sold on some kind of warm up.

• Baller
Proper warm up is important and I have a little routine I go through before tournaments. In practice however I don't have the space to do it. Our slalom course is out away from the shore with no place to get on shore so I usually get out of the drivers seat do some squats and arm circles then hop in the water. Not ideal but it is all I can do. I will warm up before I get in the boat but by the time I get in the water the benefit of that has usually passed.

• Baller
@MS interestingly enough I ski about the same in practice and tournaments. My off the dock practice PB is 1 ball better than my tournament PB (5@35 vs 4@35) and I think my averages are pretty close. I may be a tiny bit more consistent running 32 off in practice but that is probably more due to different sites, boats etc than warming up.

• Baller_
Highly recommend that video warm up for all female athletes. I have a stationary AirDyne style bike I ride for 5-10 mn before. Then stretch warm muscles. Have a buddy that does a quick yoga routine. Looked easy. I tried it a couple times. Learned 2 things: Yoga is frign hard and I'm as limber as a telaphone pole. But I do believe the yoga would have the greatest impact. Unlike @OB, I prep my muscle by saying nice things to them and talking them into it..... has not worked. May try @OBs plan.

• Baller
@MS when I don't warm up my back feels a little creaky on my pull through the gates. It settles down and feels fine by the end of the first pass. When I do warm up properly I don't have that problem. I am also a little less sore in general when I warm up properly.

• Baller
I had a neck injury at the end of last season and have been seeing a chiro ever since, strangely he recommends NOT stretching beforehand but simply warming up. He seems to think stretching can encourage the muscles to be used to a degree they shouldn't be and thus ending up with a tear or strain. I'm very dubious about this advise but certainly warming up by any means to get blood flowing is beneficial. Stretching after, is the go, according to Mr Chiro.

• Baller_
To add to what @rockdog said, it amazes me how much more range of motion I have in any stretch after I ski. I've heard that before. I just gotta remember to do stretching after but it's usually jump back in the boat. Anyone else hear about stretching after? Also since the water is right there, who swims as a warm up? That to me would seem the easiest. No dock or land required.

• Baller
I am surprised by this lack of understanding of proper training. Muscle tissue should always be warmed up before any extreme exercise! Stretching should be done only with properly warm muscles, and is best done after exercising(skiing). Raising your heart rate prior to skiing will also jump start your oxygen delivery to muscles. If you never participated in organized sports with professional coaches, you should read up on proper training techniques. I always try to ride my bicycle for ten minutes, then follow with a series of exercises and stretching before I ski, practice or tournament. And yes, this has become more important to me as I have aged. But I am still skiing! With all the reports of injuries lately, I hope every skier will take the time to warm up then stretch before every set.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller
I am old and cannot see my toes. Also, I am in pear shape. Warming up gets me ripe and too tired to get around the first island before the course. When I fall MS refuses to come get me with the golf cart so I have to shuffle back to the dock. Therefore, warming up is futile and a waste of my time. : (

• Baller
Just in case this conversation turns serious - not that it should, anyone know anything about the value of "dynamic stretching" ahead of skiing versus static, stretch and hold? Maybe we need @MarcusBrown to chime in?

• Baller

Here is my take: I have done stretching before skiing and not. If I warm up beforehand I end up taking one warmup "pass" vs two if I don't stretch. I would also say that it depends on water temperature because when the water heats up I want my muscles to be as cool as possible otherwise the warm water fatigues them much faster. For cool water it helps to warm the muscles up a bit beforehand.

Static vs dynamic stretching: I have done both with P90X and P90X2. I actually like both styles. Dynamic working of the muscles really seems to "liven" the muscle groups and get you ready for what your going to do. Static stretching pinpoints or localizes the muscle "readiness". In other words the dynamic stretching gets more groups ready at the same time. Another routine that we do in P90X2 is a roller - the roller is awesome for pinpointing "hot spots" and getting those muscles stretched and massaged. While I won't be taking a roller to the ski lake it would be interesting to see what effect it has. A PT and or Ortho could probably talk a lot more intelligently about this subject. @rlw - any comments?

• Baller

After driving an hour to the course hips flexors are always the main musculature that is tight. To keep ankles and knees flexed calf stretching is key too. Here is a take on stretching and apparatus you may not have seen called the 'True' stretch. All docks should have one! ps @Mattp your link is all Gary Grey stuff -he made this device I am stretching in the below video. The caveat is I am adding the three planes of motion concept.

• Baller_
Bike if I can or I will swim for a bit if the water is over 85, anything to get the blood moving. I never stretch until I am good and warm. Didn't the Australians or some other country do a study with their Olympic athletes that showed no benefits at all from stretching? May have to hit the google to see if I can dig it up.

• Baller

I'm curious what the big dynamic stretch advocates do when doing a second or third set that are an hour or so apart... I would consider myself cooled down and muscles dormant after being in the boat or on the dock for an hour or more after skiing. Do you guys go back through your run or bike routine before skiing again?

On a side note, I kinda wish I could free ski shortly before jumping in the course. I feel like no matter what I do before skiing isn't a substitute for skiing and I'm rarely ready for my opening pass.