Broken middle finger

nzwaterski

• Baller

Yesterday had a fall on ball #2 nothing spectacular. Decided to end set. I climbed into boat to drive while taking gloves of noticed finger a bit sore. Today went to get it looked at X ray showed the end joint broken. Not sure how this happened any one had similar experience?

That's me out for 4-6 weeks. And it's mid summer here in New Zealand:-(:-(

• Baller
Bummer. Many years ago my friend grabbed the handle but somehow his finger was under the handle and when he squeezed with the other fingers he broke his finger. I believe he knew right away though..

• Baller_
You might try Clincher style gloves to see if you can still ski. The off season is for healing up. Clincher style gloves have their own issues, but they can keep you going in a pinch. H2OProShop.com will get you going in no time flat unless you have access to a pro shop at home.

Lpskier

I hurt my thumb pretty bad once (but not broken) when I fell OTF crossing the wakes and my hand bounced off the water and hit myself in the ribs. Couldn't bend it much for a few weeks, definitely possible to imagine breaking a finger after that.

• Baller
The reason I ask is that I was removing my finger from the splint and moving it, which apparently was a big no no. That's how it ended up healing all wrong. Good luck. BTW it's only a finger so I'm not too pissed about how things turned out, but if you can do all the right things in the first place and get a good finger out of the deal, what ever the effort or sacrifice, I think it's worth it.

• Baller
I did mine windsurfing, it was a stupid injury, I was adjusting my gear in the shore break and got it pinched. That was 3 years ago, and the finger still has limited mobility but is slowly improving. I did continue to windsurf (I wasn't skiing at all at that time) while it was in the splint, but once the pin went in, I couldn't really use my hand for 6 weeks. BTW for anyone who ends up with the pin sticking out the end of the finger in case they don't tell you. (they didnt' tell me) you can rotate the pin. On mine they bent the pin into a hook and left it facing up. Had I known it would spin I could have pointed it down, and that 6 weeks would have been a lot easier.

• Baller
I broke my middle finger water skiing a few years back. I didn't notice it at the time it happened. I noticed it taking my gloves off and driving home. I didn't think it was broken and I kept skiing. I ended up going into the doctor a few weeks later as it still hurt and they said it was broken, but almost healed. So, depending on how bad the break is, I would bet you could start skiing again in not too long.

• Baller
I broke mine too years ago. Index finger went off the end of the handle so tried to hang on with 3 fingers but couldn't hold it. Something happened when the handle shot out of my hands and my middle finger may have been pinched between the handle and the side of the V. Thought it was a freak accident but I guess not so freaky after hearing other occurrences.