Shim front of reflex plate?

buski

I have a 12 reflex shell on a single carbon plate. The holes on my ski match up with the second set of holes (a little further back) on the plate. The plate is a little warped in the sense that the front isn't pressed down on the ski when mounted, and there's a little bit of give until the plate hits the ski. I could easily fit a coin in there if not two at the very front.

Should I shim this or just leave it as is? What's the best way to shim it?

• Baller

Have you looked at the bottom side of the plate to make sure it isn't damaged?

I don't see plate flex changing the feel of the ski especially with such a hard boot. I'd bet the plate hits the ski when you put your weight on it anyway but I don't know for sure. My only concern would be if the plate is putting a lot of extra tension on the mounting screws especially if it's only on one side of the screws. Don't want to release at the mounting holes or worse...half release in the mounting holes and not actually release when you need to.

I think @bmg73 is correct. I have the same setup and the front of my plate is slightly lifted off the ski also. It has always been like that and to me it's no big deal. It's simply the carbon flexing as the horseshoe pulls the plate up when the boot is put in and the toe levers it up slightly

• Baller

Understand. My aluminum plate lifts up too but I can push it back down to the ski with one finger and a thumb so I have a hard time believing that the flex has any adverse effects while skiing.

If anything, I'd think it's a good thing so that the binding plate won't dig into the ski when flexed up. That said, I think @Horton is onto something and I doubt any waterski company would tell you incorrect information just so they wouldn't have to deal with replacement.