Who is in charge of video at Big Dawg Finals

kfennell

I have some ideas that I would like to discuss with this person or group? Who will be providing the video for the web stream? Who will be in charge there? I guess the same thing for the rest of nationals, is there a person who comes in or does someone from the host site do it?

• Administrators

lack of Internet

this is the number one reason why webcasting is a great idea that just can't seem to work.

Honestly when it does work the number of people watching compared to the cost makes it a questionable proposition. I'm not against it in fact I wish it would work but historically it is a boondoggle

Its just because all the sites are not in cities. If we were even 1 mile in any direction you could easily get internet to support it. I will be checking with the local ISP to see if they will give me a dedicated connection during the tournament, but I don't know if it will be possible. The only internet here is ATT 4g and wireless from a tower a mile away.

I wonder what the logistics of that would be having to swap cards every skiier, then get the card in whatever is playing the video. I guess just cut back and forth to the image of the crowds or something, but that gets out of my area of expertise. Thanks for the contact info.

Yeah would obviously not work for all of nationals, I was thinking just the big dawg finals.

There is no consumer way to send HD from the boat really, 480p would be your l imit. But it would be very set it and forget it. Running off the boats battery, it would just need setup in the morning and there would be a live view from that boat all day.

• Baller

Remember @kfennell that we never use only one boat so "set it and forget it" is tough. Unless you have multiple packages it will need to be swappable fairly easily. Also two lakes for slalom almost all the time and another lake for trick/jump. At one point the BD is also skiing on the fourth lake while the other three are active. Except for tricks (and I'd guess the BD) don't anticipate having more than one boat on a lake pulling skiers. That said I haven't discuss that with the CD or others.

Just a few thoughts. Check you PM @kfennell

Yeah I was thinking over the multiple boat problem and I don't have a teriffic idea to solve it. The transmitter and stabilization setups cost $400 each plus a gopro hero 3+ add a few hundred if you wanted to use something like a Nex5 with zoom, or add $1k for a DSLR. Gets expensive to have that setup in multiple boats ;)

Moving the setup between boats would be one clamp and jumper cables to the battery but I am sure that trying to do that fast in a tournament will result in something getting broke, etc.

Yeah I can see there are lots of catches to live video. This was more directed at my other idea and wanting to get in touch with Greg.

Did anyone see slopestyle skiing tonight? Did you see that it was being filmed with a drone carrying a DSLR on a gimbal, just like what I have here :)

Here is a video we took tonight. This is the first video we ever took. GP Hero 3+ on a brushless gimbal being controlled by a camera operator on shore. Holding the gimbal on a 1.5" PVC pipe that we flattened the end and bent it to shape. Camera will get more stable with some tuning and keeping it out of the wind better.