Need help finding ski rack for 196

34mph

• Baller

So I have been trying to find a ski rack that use to be a option on 196s it was a double ski rack that was mounted on the inside of boat. Do you guys have one or know some one that has one that does not use that wants to sell . Does anybody know how to make something like it . There is some like it in the new MC.

Thanks for help

• Baller
The original racks were really simple. You could get some 1/2-3/4 phenolic and cut two out pretty easily. Some aluminum brackets to bolt them to the floor and gunnel, glue some felt to the edges, and you're done. I made some patterns off of the stock ones years ago. I'll see if I can find them.

• Baller

I built one for my 94 malibu a few years ago. It has worked great. It is nothing as nice as the MC's but it works well for my boat and was much cheaper. My design is removable. I used 2"x3" lumber, wrapped in carpet, and bolted to the back of the side panel (using the existing side panel bolts). Then I bought track mounted removable garage organizers/hangers. I cut the track into 3" long pieces to mount to the 2x3. I had to cut down the length of the forks on the hangers to work. I added small bungees above each hanger so that I can secure the skis. I spaced mine so the top ski is binding up (does not extend above the side of the boat) and bottom ski is binding down. Works great. I can un-clip the hangers and remove when not in use.

• Baller
No drilling. My side panels have long bolts on them that extends through the lip on the gunnel of the boat. I just drilled holes in the 2x3 and used the same bolts. I will look for another picture of the install. Definitely did not drill into the boat. Yes. I used the track soiI could make the hangers removable. Just cut them down.

• Baller
I took the rear seat out of my boat that no one uses and made a small sundeck. Underneath the sundeck is a small shelf that allows the skis to sit upside down at a slight angle. Out of the way and the sun and a nice padded deck. I'll try to get pictures.

• Baller
@ShaneH -ooops sorry about that. some how auto correct or a senior moment helped me delete the word ' 'sintra' ' which is a slightly expanded pvc material weighing about 1/10 of phenolic and much easier to work with. also much much cheaper and cleaner looking. phenolic would be about the worst choice of material i could think for a ski rack in the boat plus the stuff is way expensive and far harder than sintra to work with.

• Baller
The material you want is called StarBoard. It's a HDPE plastic. Quite a few colors but not cheap because it's petroleum based. I used it to make fin protectors many years ago. Based out of Florida if I remember correctly. Same stuff used by Nautique for glove box covers. Very easy to machine with standard power tools and is shapable with a router.

@PurdueSkier‌ I'd love to see some more pix, too! I so need to build one of those. Also, if you can post a pic or two of the boat I'd love to see those. I like seeing older boats that are immaculate and I'm betting that one is. It helps keeps the temptation down for dumb ideas like needing a new boat and reminds me it's worth it to keep being anal about taking care of my '01.

• Baller
Sorry guys, couldn't find any build pictures and the boat is in storage for another few weeks at least, so no new pictures. What I did was really simple and probably have only $80 in material. I used the Rubbermaid FastTrack system. The hooks are about $10 each and are removable. I bought one section of track and cut out 4 small 3" long pieces to use. Just wide enough for a single hook. Here is a quick sketch of what I did. Between this and the picture above, it should make sense. PM me if you want more information. The bungees probably aren't needed, but I leave my ski on the rack when I trailer the boat, so I use them.