2014 MasterCraft prop and speed questions

Phil

• Baller
I hope some one can give some guidance here on the new Mastercraft, one of our local promo guys would like to bring his 2014 boat to our first R&L event in April, normally we run only Nautigues but as this Mastercraft will be the boat that will be pulling the Senior Worlds I thought it is a good opportunity to ski on them for one round. After talking with some one with a wealth of knowledge about boats, he advises me that the 2014 Mastercraft is very slow out of the hole and with the current approved 4 blade propeller will not get up to speed in time on this lake, we have approx. 550 feet to the gates, so the boat would have to be at set speed 182 feet approx. before that so that it is still not gaining at the pregates , I'm told that maybe a 3 blade OJ may get it there? but I do not want to take any chances with a boat that may or may not be on speed at the pregates When I spoke with the promo guy about this he told me his boat came with the wrong prop? so is there a problem? a new boat being delivered with the wrong prop? I do not want, or need any issues in the tournament because the boat is not up to speed, or any potential records being denied because the boat is not using the approved prop.

• Baller
OB I agree with you and we have used all the boats here up to this point without any issues in the past, have you tested the 2014 Mastercraft? and if so did it work at your site? the person that told me this has, and I have the greatest respect for his knowledge and insight in this sport so when he talks, I listen

• Baller
Apparently there was a few 2014 Prostar's that left the factory with the wrong props, Brooks Wilson may chime in and explain. We had one here in Australia that couldn't get to 58km/h. The boat we had here for the Australian Open had the 6.2ltr engine, with a 3 Blade prop (jump prop so I'm told) and it felt slow when you skied behind it, but was not slow by any means.

• Baller
Silly question, but I was under the impression that all MasterCrafts got a test thrash on the lake before they were shipped. (Malibu says that they do) Do they use a shop prop and then put a new one on before shipping? Seems like a wrong prop would get noticed during the water check out.

• Baller
I've asked exactly the same question. The answer I got was, it starts, speeds up, handles, doesn't leak, doesn't rattle and turns off. It's not a AWSA boat test, so the wrong prop probably would not be noticed by a non tournament driver.

• Baller
My boat will be here Friday but unusable because well, it's icy here. Anyway, I was planning on fitting it with the same 3 blade Acme I was using on my 2005 197. My dealer said that he was told it would be appropriate on this boat as well. In my 2005 the difference between the 3 blade Acme and the 4 blade OJ the boat came with was dramatic in terms of acceleration, top end, and smoothness. There is a thread on here somewhere where I noted what the new 3 blade was. I don't have the box in front of me so I can't tell you right now.

@Phil

An R&L tournament requires the AWSA approved prop.

Factory prop is 13.25 x14.5 4 blade OJ and this 5.7L has plenty of power. This is a pic of my 2014 ProStar going down the assembly line.

MC does test every boat they make. MC has a slalom course on the lake to check Zero off as well as run it through its paces using the customers prop.

They sometimes remove the customers prop for transport so it doesn't get bent or stolen. The dealers then put it back on. There is a chance the dealer received several different boats on their shipment from MC and somehow mixed them up. If the boat was used at a Boat Show, often all the running gear is removed so the boats can be lower while on display, a mix up on the prop could result.

I can tell you from first hand experience, the MC factory workers take tremendous pride in their work and the boat is Q.C.'d at every assembly station before it is released to move down the line.

@markchilcutt‌

That is really depending on your altitude and how short your course setup is. MC can best guide your selection. If the necessary selection is outside what MC has AWSA approval on, an exception can be requested from your local Chief Judge. I know the 6.2L motor is recommended at high (5,000' ?) altitude and for WR Jumpers like Freddie K. Not really sure if a different prop is approved just for altitude.

Wow @richarddoane that is very interesting! I wonder what changes with the boat switching from 3 to 4 blade on the controller? Wonder if it programs a different RPM Ramp up or if it is more of a controlling issue while at speed in the course to help give a better pull?

Has anyone ever seen this option on any other boats besides the new PS? Very interesting

So i understand the 6.2 liter is prefered for high altitude.

Can anyone tell me which prop they think will be the best pull in the course at high altitude running the 5.7 motor?

Right now the 5.7 boat in Utah has the 4 blade 13.25X14.50 on it.

@Chuck_Dickey or anyone else with time around the new PS any thoughts?

Thanks, MC

@markchilcutt‌

Suggest you call Aarne Clow at MasterCraft for the best insight on this. Maybe Marcus Brown can post something?

Our lake is only at 1850 feet elevation and my new ProStar is a 5.7L. I pulled a couple short line 36'ers this weekend and had no issues. Both skiers had great things to say about this boat!