Core exercise

coxjon

Just wondering what other sports or exercise you all do to help build core strength for skiing.

I know it's been winter (and it's been cold skiing in the UK) but I've been really struggling with stamina to get through a second set.

Just taken up swimming in the pool to help build me up a little

• Baller
I do a lot of plank, on bent arm, on straight arm, one leg up, one arm up, one leg and arm up, one arm up while waving an arm, unstable (exercise ball), Thai , etc. Try a google search for variations. I recently added flutter kick so my rotation too.

• Baller
You don't have to train ab or core specific. This year my new trainer has gotten me to engage and tighten my abs/core and glutes during every exercise. It doesn't matter if we're doing dumbell curls or moving plank ladder exercises, or step ups. At first I was surprised that my abs were sore after a day where we did no core work. And when I mentioned it, her reply was that we'd turned every exercise into a core exercise.

• Baller
Any functional strength type lift or exercise will certainly hit abs. Especially those that are a function of power generator from the legs and transmitted through the torso into the upper body. There are some good kettle bell exercises/movements that do just that. They are simple and also effective for getting your muscles to work functionally, in concert, with one another.

• Baller

I have a lot of problems with lower back like many modern people.

Have now have severe pain for 3 weeks and been to different chiropractors, massage, doctors, PTs etc. Slowly getting better but not sufficient.

Inner 'stomach' and 'inner back, close to spine' (?) muscles seems to be the answer.

One exercise I just learned this week from an old PT was make sit up on a large ball.

I have done this before but this time I was supposed to have my arms fully extended over my head through out the full sit up.

THAT really made a difference to me due to I can not use the '6 pack muscles' since they are already static, fully extended during the whole exercise.

Why not give it a try and report your findings (not you full trained young folks)?

Sorry for the wording.

My US/UK vocabulary does not cover this subject sufficiently =0/

• Baller_
When I was doing it a while back, indoor rock climbing was crazy good for stabilizer and core muscles. Plus legs and grip. Loved it. It was so much fun, it didn't feel like a workout until you were to exhausted to finish that last climb. And the next day ya felt it.

• Baller

@ShaneH‌ - do you ever engage your core while driving your car?

Best point a physical therapist made to me was that most of us can do ~ hour of core a day if you focus on posture and core stability while driving. Lean your seat back and hold yourself up while you commute, with the braking/accelerating/turning you get all sorts of load.

• Baller_
Holy Crap... Try bronchitis for the last 3 weeks going on 4. I've lost 5lbs and cannot stop frign coughing!!!. Have skied only 2 times in the last month. Geeeez when does this crap go away?? It's definitely a six pack abb work out but I'm WAYYY over it.