Ski recomendation

oldjeep

• Baller

Looking for a ski recommendation for my son. He has always been a wake boarder and started slalom skiing last year on my 69" O'Brien Evidence, which was nice for getting him out of the water but too big for a 6ft 2in 160lb kid to progress on.

End of last year he was crossing the wake with confidence but really doesn't lay into the turns yet, so I'm thinking some sort of open water ski that would be good at 28-30. Size wise I'm assuming 65-67? I ride a 67 Senate which I don't think he ever tried last year.

• Baller

@AB - lol. I just bought it last year and he's welcome to use it but I think I want a second ski available preferably something a little wider and I want to buy soon so that we are prepared if the ice ever melts.

Looking around a little, it looks like a Theory or P6 in a 67 would be in his weight range and I can get 2012 Blems for $139 - $159 brand new. Not sure whether the Theory or P6 would be better to get or what the non Radar options are.

• Baller_
+1 for P6. So much of that ski comes from the top of their line on down through the P6. Have a buddy that went from a Senate where he was struggling at higher speeds (under 34mph) to get through the course. I think he ran the course for the first time, second set on the P6 at slower speeds. He's been running it ever since and the speeds been going up. Coaching friend of mine sweres by them and gets his students on them often. The learning curve is much quicker at 24 or 26mph in the course and will last up to 30 and even 32mph. That's a HUGE range of skiing for that little scratch. It will last him for quite some time.

• Baller

Ordered a nos 2012 p6 67" blem - figured for $139 that I can't go wrong. Got a duplicate of the bindings that are on my senate so that I can rob them if I break mine ;)

The expensive part is going to be the ski rack for the tower.

• Baller

Funny how fast stuff shows up when you can't use it yet. If this thing is a blem, I sure can't find what they are talking about. Box didn't say anything about being a blem either. In any event it is definitely a bit wider than my senate. I do wish that they would use cling stickers though, after a couple years in the box the stickers on the bottom are a tad hard to get off clean.

http://oldjeep.com/images/Malibu/WP_20140404_004.jpg

• Baller_
He will like the ski. I had 7 Radar MPDs all blems. Some were obvois top sheet/graphics not square to the ski. Others you had to hunt down the defect. With the patterns they use these days in the skies I'm suprised they even sell blems...who would know.

• Baller
Well, only 3 months later he actually got to try out his new ski. High water levels have been continuing to plague us here. Couple thoughts on it are that it worked a lot better for him than the old 69" Obrien Evidence that he was using before, and due to the width of the 67" P6 I probably could have dropped him down to a 65".