Dear "Living in the Stone Age" ski company

ktm300

• Baller

You may (or may not have) noticed that your competitors have stepped up and now offer a reasonably hassle free demo program for their skis. At the risk of leaving someone out:

D3 Will send TWO skis to try for two weeks. They also have a real live skier who will gladly and promptly help with set up questions

Mapple will send a ski for about three weeks. Same real skier comment as above. (Happens to be the best skier ever)

Goode for a month

Razor three weeks

If your name happens to be Connelly, you may have noticed that your product known as the Prophecy has gotten some good press lately. From the boat, I watched a skier set a tournament PB on one and I liked how it looked. The purveyor of this website posted some vids showing a rocking offside turn. Perhaps this good press was your end goal and, if so, congratulations on the accomplishment. Sales...who needs em. Your staff up in Washington kindly suggested the online dealer tab where I was invited to buy a ski from Bass Pro Shops and Academy Sports. Thanks for the tip.

I was able to demo a prophecy from my local wakeboard boat shop. They did not carry a single water ski item, but did carry CWB wakeboard stuff. The shop contacted the CWB/Connelly rep for me. Connelly shipped the prophecy to my house, I skied it for a month and returned it to the shop, no questions asked.

• Baller

@ktm300 you realize Pat Connelly passed away recently right?

I would suggest calling your local ski shop. Get them to let you demo it. Maybe show your committed to buying, by putting some money down on the ski and tell them you will spend that money in their shop on a ski or other item in their fleet......

Sometimes, as the consumer, you have to show that you are serious. Not enough margin in some of this to lose money on returned equipment from a demo happy society.......

Just my 2 cents.

• Baller
Sarcasm intended as humor. I know how and where to get one. Just making the point that they could make it easier and sell more skis. I also understand that they have to maintain good relations with their dealer network and that catering to slalom skiers can't be a top business priority. My ski shop rolls in a brown delivery van. Goodeskier's point is the reason I don't like to demo through a retailer. I feel like I am imposing when I don't buy the ski. I'm never going to be serious about trying a ski. If I can try one with minimal hassle and it outperforms what I am now riding, I'm a buyer. Factory direct removes a cost layer and makes it a win win for both. All of this is IMO only.

• Baller

The direct sales model doesn't work for all companies, otherwise they would do it. That in no way makes them stone age companies. You called out Connelly, but you can't do a factory direct demo from Radar, Obrien, or HO either.

Try calling Trek or Specialized and tell them you want them to send you a bike to demo. When they tell you no, does that make them stone age too?

• Baller
@ktm300‌ if you feel like you are putting out the dealership, maybe they aren't the place for you. I know Wiley's is all over me to try out a new VAPOR and a HELIX. They make it too easy to try........ I am sure if you were willing to pay the shipping, they or PERFORMANCE would gladly help you try a new ski. I never feel like I am putting those guys out. They go out of their way to help me out.

• Baller

What are you so worried about?

Support a dealer and work with them, Most will offer a performance guarantee at the very least. Brown van and all..

The most important things are size and the performance level of the ski, not the brand. If you want a prophecy, just buy one.

• Baller

I think we all need to think about how we buy everything. There is value in a dealer. I know once you've decided on an item, you can check all over the internet and find it $40 cheaper...so what? I am slalom skier. I went in to Performance Ski and Surf for a wakeboard for my son. I don't know squat about wakeboards. They have people that do (Danny hooked us up). Right board for his size, edges and fins the way he likes to ride (he spins it like a trick ski). Try pulling up wakeboard on the internet and see how many thousands come up.

You want a new slalom? Your shop has probably set up hundreds of bindings, fins, wings and gets a ton of feedback. They could use your feedback too. And if your ski is more than 2 seasons old, you should be chucking it for a new one. They just need to know you're going to buy something.

• Baller
@liquid d‌ true - if you are going to the dealer for advise and spending their time rubbing their skis or demoing them then you should certainly buy from them. If you got some advice on the internet about which ski to buy then there isn't a whole lot of sense going to the dealer and paying $200 more than having it delivered to your door.

• Baller

@ktm300‌ can't remember if you have told us what ski you are on....... if you can't demo, how much faith do you have in your "brand loyalty" to buy their new stick? You know, without a demo? That is if they aren't one of the demo companies............

I guess a better question..... DO YOU NEED A NEW STICK? Is there life and advancement abilities on your current stick?

• Baller

It's probably safe to say all of us have multiple stories where we saved some coin buying something off the web, only to regret it later. I'm back to supporting local bricks and mortar whenever practical. Before and after sales service has legitimate value.

Plus, when I research something at a retail outlet then buy it a bit cheaper online, it doesn't feel right, and I can't ignore that.

• Baller

My local situation is that I could walk to my closest inboard/ski equipment dealer, it is 8 blocks from my house. They also operate a huge online business - with OK, but not great pricing. I've bought a couple things from them that they actually had on the shelf, but for most stuff I've come in looking for it is either "visit our other location that is 30 miles away", or you can order it at our online store.

At that point, paying more to order it from them doesn't make much sense.

You will almost always pay more for something at a local pro shop. You are paying for convenience, personalized service, expertise, and the warm peace of mind that if there is a problem with your purchase that you can go back and get it resolved quickly and easily. I tell my customers I offer 3 things with my product: price, quality, and service. You can choose 2 of these things but not all 3. If you pick quality and service then you can't have the best price. Just that simple. Value added service is what I sell. Some customers just don't get it and that's ok too. You can't please everyone. But I go the extra mile for the ones that do get it.

• Baller

Buy from the local shop!

Invest in the people that share your similar belief and passion for the sport.

Anybody can give you service and a good price.

(Here's a secret, .....this is the strategy Apple employs! They are no slouches!)

• Baller

I would love to be able to try a few different skis but given where we live and access it is tough. I know if I am serious about it there are options to try skis out but for the most part they involve shipping stuff back and forth which gets expensive.

I do feel strongly that if I leverage a demo program I owe the business to the shop i demoed from even if I could save a few bucks elsewhere. That feeling sticks from my golfing days when I used to be a club whore. If I tried something from my local shop and liked it I bought it from them. I feel the same way about skis. I have bought a few skis used to minimize the risk that if I don't like them I can flip them again for not much of a loss.

• Baller

@Chef23 you live in Massachusetts??? I know it is the Commonwealth State and that you are the model community for the affordable care act and all....... but when you said "given where we live and access it is tough." When I read that I thought when I checked your location it would say Ukraine or Czech Republic or Alberta.........

Plenty of very affordable ways to demo skis in Massachusetts. D3 and GOODE are simple demo programs which cost less than HALF of what it would cost to fill my boat once........... I mean we are talking $1500 to $2000 skis......... You have to have a RADAR or HO dealer nearby........... you must know @Than_Bogan‌ ???? I bet you could convince him to let you have a set on his Nano One for a pocket protector and a GREEN LANTERN POWER RING (Big Bang Theory........)

• Baller

@GOODESkier there are no dealers here in Mass (there actually is someone who has set up a small D3 dealership that I know so I could get on a D3). I know I can get skis here given a deposit but it involves shipping skis back and forth which gets expensive. I do know and ski with @Than_Bogan however we are vastly different in size so his N1 won't even come close to fitting me.

I am in a situation that if I got on a ski and loved it I would make a switch. However I don't need to make a change and I hate to have a company send me skis if I think it is a longshot I would keep it.

It is much easier to try golf clubs when I can go to a local shop take a club out of their demo program and bring it back if it doesn't convince me to make a change. This makes it easy to try 3-5 different drivers to find the one that is right for your game. Doing that with slalom skis is very tough.

• Supporting Member

@GOODESkier Nope, I never got into comics. I spent time at comic shops, but only when they were the best place for playing Magic: The Gathering. At times, my Nerd Cred gets a bit thin: I also don't get Dr. Who at all, and find Chess tedious. But if you wanna see someone get excited about planning out The Best Dungeons and Dragons Character Ever, or celebrate shaving one tick off an inner loop, then I'm your man.

This reminds me it's about time to change my signature back to Geek/Athlete, especially since -39 won't get a chance to laugh at me for at least 1.5 months.

• Baller
Many of you are lucky to have local pro shops that carry course-quality sticks. I can buy a new MC a few miles from my house, but I might as well be speaking Klingon to them when trying to talk slalom gear.