New ProStar -- 5.7L. What prop are others using, specific pitch

Razorskier1

@Razorskier1‌

I have not experienced that. Usually have 2 to 3 in the boat when skiing. We have turn islands so we need to get up before rounding them and have not had any problems. I only weigh 175 and my skiing crew are between me a 200 pounds. I have not felt dragged in the least, feels strong to me when I'm on the Business end of the rope.

Have you had complaints or is this just your feeling while driving? What elevation are you?

I know MC also has a 3 blade prop approved if you want to try a change without going out of ASWA USAWS approval spec.

• Baller

@chuck_dickey Jim and I pulled each other with no passengers. We are both toe loop skiers who start one foot out so are pretty easy to pull up.

As driver's and skiers we felt like the hole shot was adequate but nothing special...using most of what she's got. Seems slower to accelerate as well on it's way to ZO speed. Again adequate but not nearly as quick as Jim's '05 197 with the MCX...though that boat was quicker than avg for the breed. I don't think his new Prostar is as snappy as the TXi at New Germany, either.

We both came away thinking great boat, great wakes, great tracking...would like a little more power both hole shot and acceleration especially given just driver and skier; concern is what about heavy skier and 2 observers. Elevation roughly 1000. We both thought she needed propped down and would seem there is room up top on wide open rpm to do so.

@Razorskier1‌

You hit the nail on the head. My ProStar only turns 3,580 @ 34mph and 3,790 @ 36mph. So far the gas consumption is great.

The pull "feels" soft, the speed "feels" slow but it has plenty of power in reserve and the times are perfect.

This boat is much different than the PS-197's I've owned in every way but I have yet to find anything I don't think is an improvement. So I think much of this is just getting use to this new design.

I'm sure it's just like the transition CC'er had going from the 196 to the 200 but without the super high rev's, poor gas mileage and the noise screening down the lake.

• Baller
Could be that they aimed for ideal power band at ski speed as well. It does seem really strong once there, and is quiet...just not the big hole shot and acceleration. Just skied a TSC1 with GT40 this morning...that thing has some serious smoke. Big power, little boat.

• Baller
@Chuck_Dickey‌ I totally get that. I'm everyday use my boat spends 95 percent of the time pulling slalom and a little trick. But I also use it for broader purposes like pulling tubes and pulling footers, so I just need a little bigger performance window.

• Baller
I would say that in the slalom speed band at 34.2 this boat is very solid. Some ZO boats I feel can be a little soft. This one is a freight train. Doesn't feel like it hits you, just like it doesn't give you anything. I went from C2 to C1.

My 5.7 ProStar has the 13.25x14.5 four blade OJ. Top speed is 39.3 at 4460 rpm (630 ft altitude). A 220 lb skier needs almost full throttle to get up. A 200 lb barefooter drops it to 37 mph. He's ok, but prefers 38. Has anyone tried the 3-blade 14x13 or any other prop? I want to get a spare anyway, but don't want to make a mistake.

• Baller
Bob. Thanks for the feedback. I'm working with my dealer and MC right now. They want me to unhook the battery for 10 minutes to reset the computer, then see how it behaves. I don't expect change, but will try. They say the three blade is better. I think I'll end up using a smaller pitch, non tournament approved prop.

I have a couple bigger skiers visiting my lake this week and we'll be testing both approved propellers to see what the differences are on speed and giddy up. I'm at 2,200 feet and have not experienced any issues mentioned above, just testing for my own Promo Team knowledge.

• Baller
@Chuck_Dickey -- they told me to try the battery disconnect and I did. Then they called and told me that some things (bilge, for example) still have power when the switch is off, so maybe I should disconnect the battery. I was told that there is some "adaptive learning" aspect to the computer system, and that it was possible that the system for some reason assumes that I don't need/want full power so it isn't delivering it. Now, that sounds like bull to me, but hey, I'm willing to work with them to understand that we've ruled everything out. Dealer told me that the 4-blade is preferred by the pro guys. Said that MC chose it to turn about 3600 at 36mph, and that was where the pros felt that it skied the best. He said the 3 blade turns about 5000 rpm WOT, has somewhat better acceleration, but that MC felt that the wake wasn't as good with the 3 blade. I agreed with him that I'd rule out all computer-related potential issues before changing props.

Contact Eric Johnson from OJ Props. Tell him what you are looking for in the boat, target rpm ranges, holeshot, etc and see what he thinks will work the best. OJ will send you a prop to try before you pay a penny. Great guy to deal with as well.

• Baller
@ShaneH -- the factory has told my dealer there are a number of other things they want us to try, but they haven't provided us any of them yet. He also ordered the approved 3 blade for me to try. It would be great if it was just technology related and could be fixed without too much issue.

• Baller

How about fuel consumption on these boats?

"would not pull 36 mph"???

That's a 320 hp engine!

I ski behind an old (99) SN w/310 hp close to 2000 hrs on it.

It will easily pass 45 mph at wot.

• Baller
I really like the look of the new Prostar. I want one but I barefoot too. Is the barefoot wash nice? I barefoot at 41 to 45mph, often with 2 up (sometimes more because I can but any new boat must pull 2 footers easily). I operate at close enough to sea level (500ft). What is the WOT speed and RPM of the 6.2 prostar? Does a barefooter pull it back a lot?

• Baller
OK. I drove my son today (36mph skier). This was my first time driving a course skier with the boat. Here's what I'd say. It is satisfactory for getting him up and getting to 36mph. You could even get by with a reasonably short setup and get up to speed in time. However, there isn't any extra throttle available. It was basically hammer down and then wait to get to speed. It would be nice to have some extra power available for shorter setups. I am hoping to get the tournament 3 blade this week to give a try and see how that feels. Will keep updating as I learn.

• Baller

I skied behind a pro skiers team boat in south texas last week. The wakes were awesome from 28 to 38. He said there is an adjustment for throttle response. I have no clue what it is, but he seemed confident it was an easy adjustment.

• Baller

Not sure what the antenna would have to do with power and acceleration? Maybe surging. The MasterCraft was pulled from a tournament in Florida for not being able to make speed in the open division and skiers were complaining at another tournament that the boat didn't feel up to speed. Two different boats.

I was really disappointed in the tracking. I wonder if they moved the tracking fins forward like on a Nautique if it would help. I was surprised with how far back they're mounted.

The most awesome part of the MC is their Zero Off display. That display should be status quo in all AWSA tournament boats. You can tell Will Bush had a lot of input in the design.

The Bimini and the bow cover are also cool along with the graphics.

I recently pulled a Mens Open skier at 36 and his only comment was "Wow, that felt slow, are you sure we were at 36?". The times were spot on all the way down the course. My 5.7L gets up to speed 34 and 36 just fine.

I did try the approved 3 blade prop, it feels stronger out of the hole and raised the top end slightly. No skier comments about it changing the wake feel.

• Baller_
@Chuck Dickey: I had the same slow feel / correct times experience last year when I had the opportunity to ski behind the Prostar at 34 mph & provided that feedback at the time.

I finally got a 14x13 3-blade on my 2014 ProStar. Previously with the 4-blade, I got 39.3 top speed at 4460 rpm and full throttle to get a 220 lb skier up. Now it goes 41.9 mph at 4800 rpm. A 200 lb skier seems to need less throttle. and at 30 mph he is at 3380-3400 rpm which is largely the same as before. A 180 lb skier at 34.2 tachs at 3940-3980. No noticeable difference in the wake or rooster tail. I haven't done the math yet, but there's got to be a lot less slippage (more bite) with the OJ 3-blade SkiPro. May be a little more noise, but I had the carpet out

• Baller

@Razorskier1, After much testing with different props from ACME. (they are only an hour from us)ACME was extremely helpful and sent us 4 or 5 different props to test based on their recommendation.

We found that the ACME 1281 3 blade with a .065 cup was the best prop out there. I got 5020 RPM and 43.6 mph at WOT and significantly better acceleration with a skier and it skied awesome in the course as well.