Trick skiing question...

Jordan

• Baller
While watching the masters, I noticed that Whitney used different trick skis for her hand pass and foot pass...how long have trickers been using two different skis, and what is the difference between the skis?

• Baller

Advanced hand tricks need strong edging. Surface toe tricks need smooth transitions when turning. While many skis do both well, other skis focus on one trait or another. Easy enough to switch to a ski that favors the differing requirements.

It's been many years that this was allowable in the rules (but there is a time limit for the change). You've always been allowed to drop a ski.

Many skiers do switch skis. Even more adjust speed between passes. I don't do either but I'm not normal...

Eric

• Baller

@jordan Most high end trickers will use a hard edge ski for the hand pass which includes flips and wake tricks. The trend is to use a rubber edge ski for the toe pass. If you go to D3 website you can see the differances in the ski.

Garb one and try it out.

• Baller

So, for a 3k-5k point tricker (who is too much of a minimalist/cheap to want two different skis), what are the best-balanced trick skis on the market?

I might get back into it this summer, but probably need to update my ski (late 90s HO CDX that's just a touch small for my mid-forties physique). I probably need more help with edging than with toes (which were always my strong suit).

• Baller
@andjules‌, if you are on the 3-5 k, you are probably mostly doing surface tricks in your hand pass, a rubber edge D3 should be the choice. Have heard good comments about the Radar as well.

• Baller
@andjules‌ , probably I did not phrase this well enough, and actually the range (3-5K) is pretty wide. If you are in the 3K range, you are not getting too much past the W5s. Now, if you are going into the 5k+, and going into SLs and Flips, you should try a couple before settling into one. But in any case, all new tricks are pretty good.

• Baller

The Quantum is the best performing and most forgiving shape of them all. Do not be afraid of going bigger than you think--the ski is super surfy and easy to manage at the same time.

• Baller

@andjules‌ The hardedge D3, the Quantum and the Goode are proven (by skier development I've seen and my several rides) as wonderfully balanced skis. A slim majority of skiers I know at high level use the same of one of those skis for both passes. The Radar looks promising and was OK for the one pass I rode but not yet to the proven status - @Horton is the better judge there. The D3 rubber edge is not as versatile as the hardedge for a one ski quiver. Go as big on your ski as possible so you can ski slower to get the most out of the new boats.

Disclaimer, I don't use any of these skis as my personal ski.

Eric

• Administrators

My toes are better than my handles. Trying to relearn TWBB and wrap in TO. It had been 20 years.

Only trick ski I have ridden in the modern era is Radar. Love it.

• Baller

@MattP‌ If @Horton hadn't been so cheap and ponied up the extra money for the class L at Adobe last fall, he would have qualified for senior worlds in trick. He is a very skilled tricker. Or maybe the Radar is that good.

Eric

Dont forget the Reflex skis.

At worlds, there were 2 Reflex, 2 D3 and 2 Quantums on the podium! Clem did the WR runs on the Reflex, Pierre just won masters on Reflex and Nic skied them for years! Certainly worth a try.

I would say see if you can demo a bunch of skis. Certainly worth the effort.