Replace Engine 2002 SN 196 - advice?

skigirl

• Baller
Overheated and cracked block in our 2002 Ski Nautique 196. Boat is in great shape otherwise. When our shop mentioned a new engine I assume that will be complete with pistons, valves, heads, etc. and the carb, intake manifold, risers etc. (basically anything that bolts on outside of the engine) will be salvaged from the current engine. Am I understanding this correctly? Any advice on other things to consider? Any thoughts on PCM vs. other GM block engine manufacturers? Thanks!

• Baller

Skigirl,

Sorry to learn of the trouble with your boat. When replacing the motor you have three options. Purchasing a new ‘Short Block(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_block)’ which would be a new or remanufactured block, that you would put your used(or rebuilt) heads on, this probably wouldn’t work for you given the overheat issue, since your heads probably should be replaced. The next option would be to purchase a ‘Long Block(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_block)’ which would be a whole new or remanufactured block and head you would install your accessories(waterpump, EFI system…) onto. The third option would be an entirely new motor and accessories similar to this http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1630 from PCM, which would include a new block, accessories. This would allow you to switch to a ZO compatible EFI system, but likely isn’t necessary for a repair unless you also want to upgrade. General Motors is the original manufacture for the new blocks, they are marinzed by companies like PCM, Indmar or Ilmore. Alternatively you could purchase a remanufactured block from Jasper http://www.jasperengines.com/marine-products.php or similar. It’s likely you could find local engine shops to evaluate and rebuild you existing block. Ordering a remanufactured block from Jasper or other might reduce your down time.

Good luck with the repair. Where in the country are you located?

Jamie

• Baller

@skigirl. He, wondering what you ever did with the 02 cc with the bad engine? I have a 2011 pcm engine for sale that wold make that boat ZO capable. I am also considering keeping the engine and buying a boat with a bad engine and turning in into a ZO machine. My engine is on SIA and here is some of the listing

2011 PCM EXCALIBUR 343 5.7L. $3650

This engine does need some work to get it back to full power, but is does run and does come complete with many new parts. This was in a 2011 Carbon pro. It comes as a bobtail engine with everything, except a transmission. Has good working ECM, new starter, fuel pump, only 500 hrs on engine, , but TWS (centurion dealership) made a mistake during an oil change service and ended up rebuilding this engine at there cost. Now less than 1 yr later it started loosing a small amount of compression and they will not warranty there own work. We needed something quick so we replaced with brand new. This is great opportunity for someone to save money and upgrade there boat to ZERO OFF! Call me and I can give more details. 330 283-2599. Engine is in orlando , Florida. $3650

The engine is comes with CATS 4 new O2sensors

• Baller

A rebuild might be possible. Often an overheat is just head gaskets. Not terribly expensive if you get very lucky. But you need a good mechanic to do a good evaluation to rule out warped heads or cracked blocks. And to properly diagnose why it overheated.

A shortblock engine will not be terribly expensive. But not a new engine. If it's just a cracked block, this is the fix.

A longblock is a bit more but will give you a new engine from a wear point of view. But the things that cause overheating like waterpumps or plugged manifolds are still old. You probably need this plus pumps and manifolds and you will get excellent service from this. Throw in a new steering cable and your boat will feel new for quite a while.

A totally new engine is an expensive involved project. And you are stuck with a crappy old hull (lots of people liked that hull but as a tricker it is one of the worst ever).

Realistically, you are stuck with the GM engine. It works fine and will be the proper engine that the boat was designed for. Alternative engines are way out there. Good if you want to experiment and tinker but if you just want to go ski, fix what you have.

I do love ZO. But PP is a very good system. The stock engine will not limit your skiing progression. If it does, buy a new boat as hull effects as well as the speed controls will be different.

Eric

Have a 97 and considered a new motor. The 343 or 330 if you can still get it, are both direct drop in replacements. Same trans and plug and play. Approx $10k

The 409/450 is probably more like a $15-17k option. Contact Jody seal on this forum. He's done many. For mine, that 1997 is a classic boat and I would definitely do it if my gt40 was bad. However, it's fine. I was just thinking of the upgrade because I like this stuff and had winter boredom.