exhaust manifolds

lff

• Baller

I have a 2003 Malibu RLxi(Monsoon 335) and it has holes in both exhaust manifolds right at the bend to the engine block - it looks like a weld joint. I've had the boat since new and it's only been in fresh water. I find it strange that both decided to go at about the same time. I had a Malibu Skier for 15 years(Mercruiser) and no such issue and no one I've talked to has heard of this happening. Anyone here had the same issue.Any advice on replacing welcome too.

• Baller
Is it a weld joint,or does it look like where they welded on a round disk about 1"dia ? If it's the disks,there are several on both sides that can be re-worked by a welder for around $150 for the set.Happens frequently with the Mastercrafts and Malibus.I just recently had mine done and I now drain the water in the manifolds when I know the boat will sit for more than a few weeks.There is a hose connecting the two manifolds that has an easy to access connection.(on my M.C.) Good luck

• Baller

2003 boat and new manifolds just now? You must ski in distilled water. Manifolds are consumable. Not quite as bad as gas. I haven't had @rawly‌ 's luck with welding but it can work for a while. I've globbed epoxy stick in the holes and gone skiing. Actually nursed bad manifolds for a season that way but what a pain. New manifolds aren't that expensive or difficult. Use anti seize upon reassembly and the next replacement will be easy - that one stuck bolt will take longer than the entire job. Good luck.

Eric

• Baller_
I have seen this many times especially in salt water applications, I alway's recommend changing those formed or one piece style manifolds with pyramid style. Both PCM and Indmar have them. longevity vs a very little performance loss most customers can accept. Cost on the Pyramid style seem to be less also.