GoPro placement on ski ?

Glydon

• Baller

@Glydon‌ @pgmoore‌ Here are some pics of how I've mounted one in the past with a couple of examples of the cool shots you'll get from this position. In the photos, I have the white anchor for the GoPro tether, but I'd recommend not tethering it to the ski because you beat it to death when the mount brakes, which it eventually will. Having the orange floaty back is essential. The best resolution for this angle is 960 either 30 fps or 48 fps.

Buckle%20Orientation.JPG

Side%20View.JPG

Hard%20Edge%202.JPG

Tunnel.JPG

• Baller
@SkiJay thanks alot man that was EXACTLY what I was looking for and the shot of what to expect is even better , is the the regular flat mount ? I was going to use the surf mount but if it is over kill , I will just use the regular mount with the white anchor tab and tether to regular tether.

• Baller
I had my first GoPro HD only a couple days before mounting it to the front of my ski with HD velcro and a tether. By the 2nd wake cross the camera was at the bottom of the lake, gone. This was just before I had heard about the floaty back door....

• Baller

@Glydon‌ that's a flat mount. If you really clean the ski before attaching the mount, it won't come off. I've had a couple of mounts break off at the neck though. It floats orange floaty up so it's easy to find. Using a tether beats up your camera case and ski too much.

@jhughes‌ That's pretty much how I learned about the floaty back too.

When I mounted my GoPro to my ski, I mounted it about 6" from my front binding. Shot some good stuff. Skied about 5 solid days. Then the mount shattered when crossing the wakes. Both the adhesive mount and the clip broke apart. Had the floaty back on though.

The risk is there like stated before. Just use the correct materials.

• Baller

Is anyone using any aftermarket mounts which are a little more durable (metal, etc.)? If so, which ones? (links to sites appreciated)

Is the surf mount that much better for mounting to a ski?

http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/surf-hero-expansion

FYI - Floaty back door testing - not all mounts can be floated by the back door float alone:

Float on the cheap:

I found this...

http://jeffandiane.blogspot.com/2012/07/how-to-build-gopro-water-ski-rope-mount.html