Wakeye App Review

MattP

• Baller

The Wakeye App is the newest product from a company out of New Zealand by the same name. Wakeye specializes in products for water sports enthusiasts to be able to record their time on the water. The app uses a GPS speed to start and stop it’s auto video capture. This is the most unique and useful feature that the app offers. The App changes from a manual to auto mode to allow for either speed controlled recording or for a passenger to control the recording so that you can film coaching from the boat.

I found it easier to set the auto record speed to a slightly slower speed than the boat is set at so that the app will record starting before the skier starts their pullout. Make sure you take note of wether the speed settings are in KPH or MPH it is easy to accidentally switch the two when you are setting up the App for speed controlled recording.

You can utilize the digital zoom in the App to get a closer view of your skiing. I like to keep the top of the back seat in the frame so that I have a reference point for my skiing. One of the apps other unique features is that it stores the video’s inside the App so you do not have to go searching through your phone for your skiing videos. It is simple to export the videos into the Camera Roll if need be. Though you can only do this one video at a time.

If you ski at slower speeds or are using the app for trick and you fall during the run you may experience short video clips between your passes that are stored in the App due to the auto record that will start and stop when you reach the specified speed which can happen when returning to pick up a skier.

With any App I’m sure we will continue to see updates and further development of the current platform. For $.99 I’m calling this app the cheapest investment in your skiing for 2014 that can help with a skiers improvement. This App is also a great way to capture video to send off for some mobile coaching which many of the top coaches offer as a service.

I suggest using the Coach’s Eye App for video review. The Wakeye App and Coach’s Eye App paired with the Wakeye tracker is the ultimate paring for video capture and review to increase your performance over the course of the season.

• Baller
I've been using it with the iPhone 5s - works perfectly. Only niggle (and to be fair its probably the iphone) is that the video looks kinda "wavey" which I am guessing is a stabilisation issue. (Rossi posted a wakeye vid on his fácebook page with the same issue). Anyone got a solution?

• Baller

@Deep11 Agreed, tried it for the first time yesterday w/ iPhone 5s...same issue, grainy and wavy. Please post if you should find a solution.

It is a great concept in that it does not engage/film until gps senses the speed you dictate.

• Baller

The wavy issue is possibly wind producing a high frequency vibration. Try and make sure your iPhone isn't being hit by wind coming off the wind-shield.

Or it maybe the iPhone 5 autofocus function is "hunting".

You can lock the autofocus by pressing and holding the screen and the AE/AF icon will pop up at the top of the screen. To unlock just touch the screen.

• Baller
@Jibbo‌ I blocked the wind and it didn't help. AE/AF lock helped but not great. I switched from my iPhone 5s to my iPhone 4s and the problem is solved. Must be something in the i5 that's the problem. I really like the Wakeye a lot ! Great product. Hope you can fix the i5 issue.

• Baller

I have found same issues iPhone 5s . Seemed less of issue w iphone 5.

I think has to do w rolling shutter and vibration. Moviepro app lets you select frame rate ... and problem is much much less w 120 frames per second. Plus cool slow mo. But uses memory!! And of course gives up auto start stop gps control :((

• Baller
Just saw an ad for this come up on @Horton 's feed. Any update on feedback? I might get it. I have an iPhone 6. I will note that the app is now 5 times as expensive at a whole $4.99 rather than the initial $0.99. But still a very small investment if it works and helps a guy improve. Still going to rely more on the vid sessions with Chris Parrish that I am intending to accomplish, but this little thing could help too.