source for quick-release?

davemac

• Baller

My daughter and I were helping out with the local Adaptive Watersports program yesterday, and the director mentioned he needed to find a source for "quick release(s)"....primarily for use with the sit-skis. Any suggestions?

Thanks, in advance.

• Baller
If you're looking for a mechanical release, I know Masterline markets them. Most trickers now use a rope release instead of the traditional mechanical. I don't know if that is applicable to sit skis. I would guess not though. Too much load.

• Baller

Masterline makes some of the safest releases. Their Robbins release requires a skilled operator but can be the safest. Their split pin release is very user friendly but still requires a skilled operator - maybe a bit more critical because the skier is locked in until the release operator trips the release. This may be better for a ski school environment - the instructor's hands don't get exhausted. I personally have one of each - the split pin triggered by the foot with Lisa's skill lets me do toes when it's just the two of us and the Robbins release gives good feedback to the operator so I feel confident with someone who is not my usual release person.

ARE also makes a nice release. It is much easier to load than Masterline's split pin. It may not release quite as smoothly when side loaded but I have years of safe releases with one. Stan still prefers that release (but he owns and uses a Robbins release as well).

Rope releases are great for little kids. For kids you don't need to wrap it around the post, they don't hurt your hands and their light weight which might not trip the Robbins is fine for the rope. I hate rope releases for adults. They tear up the operator's hands. It is hard to keep the rope steady so the feel to the skier is spongy. And it takes enough force to unwrap the rope from the pylon that the release can cause injury (I know personally of a couple such injuries). After a toe step you are holding on so hard that that surface edge catch is hard to adjust for. The only advantages of the rope release are that they are cheap and readily available. Carry one in your bag but use something else regularly. Most trickers I know prefer to use something else.

If the need is primarily rope handling, a horse panic release can work. I used one for years. They are small, light, cheap and readily available. Not particularly safe though - I personally got a nasty injury from one. Still, it may be better than nothing. But seriously, the Masterlines are worth the money and will last until stolen or lost.

Eric

• Baller

Adaptive Adventures?

What I think you should look at are KW releases

http://www.lakeelmosports.com/product.php?productid=95

With adaptive skiers I think they frequently pull not just the skier but a support skier correct?

If you are going to pull a number of people you should think Show Ski not Trick Ski releases.

KW is very well known to the show skiers around MI and WI.

• Baller

If the need is for a release to constantly hold heavier loads, then a rope release or the

Robbins release (Masterline) may be a bit tough on the release person. If someone

strapped into a sitski tips over, the momentary load could also be quite high. Some

of the older split pin type releases didn't always work under a very heavy load.

One alternative that I haven't seen mentioned above is the "kite" release that Rob Bemman

makes. Bemman Custom Design, Winter Haven, FL 863-293-2405 or: bcdjump@yahoo.com