Another Reflex question: Hinge location.

MrJones

• Baller

I have been using a Reflex for ~4 years. Over time the front toe loop grooved into the toe of the shell making it fit loosely. As a quick fix I wrapped tape around the toe loop with increasing layers over time as it loosened. My release tension was perfect from a safety standpoint, but the boot heel could actually be lifted up off the plate easily when just standing on the dock. I guessed this wasn't particularly good from a performance standpoint.

This is a 500 release. For those of you with a 500 you have probably noticed that there are 2 sets of holes in the mounting block where the release hinges. All of the ones I have seen have had the hinge in the back hole from the factory. Now my logic was that if I remove the 10 layers of tape from the toe loop and move the hinge to the forward hole it would tighten the fit of the boot. I did that and skied on it last night. Everything seemed fine, but of course I didn't take a header just to test it out.

The question is this. Is what I did safe and/or is that the purpose of the additional hole??? I checked the Refex web site and did not find an answer. (Please let me know if I missed it) Thanks for any input.

• Baller
I noticed exactly what you described and made the same maneuver with the release mounting hardware. The up & down heel movement was eliminated, yet the release still smooth and predictable when stuffing the tip. No changes made to the tension spring.

My buddy had a similar experience. Last July we moved the hinge to the forward holes as it was prone to release just after the apex of his off side turns. It was more prevalent as the rope shortened. The tension was left as is since it was fully cranked - that alone tells me is time for new equipment but his college budget would not allow.

Anyway, one year later, I'm told the buoy pre-release is now pretty much a thing of the past. Time to give him a call.

• Baller

@MrJones‌ now you should measure the distance from the tail again and adjust accordingly, also check the spring, it usually lasts for about 2 years and then there is a high risk of breaking which leads to prerelease without knowing why. Instead of using duct tape over the tow loop you can use a level hose over it that lasts for years and looks better.

Good luck,

Alex,